Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Board and Batten in Master Bedroom

The master bedroom was one of the first rooms that I painted...mostly because I just couldn't stand the green color that was in there when we first moved in.  It made it look so small!  And dated!  Anything was better than green that was in there when we first got the house:


The room itself was decently sized, and it had two full windows which let in lots of light.  I love that! 

After I painted it a light grey, it seemed so much bigger.  But I still didn't LOVE it.  Like, I didn't get butterflies in my stomach when I walked in the room, and I didn't want to spend any extended period of time in there:



I'd seen some photos floating around the blog world of this fantastic wall treatment called "board and batten".  It was FABULOUS.  I wanted needed it...umm...yesterday.  So, out came the 'big guns' so to speak...well, in my case, I pulled out the little guns and my hammer and got to work ripping out all of the old molding that I spent so much time painting white just a few months before! 

I took several trips to Lowes and Home Depot before deciding on MDF boards: 3'' for the baseboard, 2'' for the top piece, and 1.5'' for the vertical boards.  The vertical boards are 4' tall...since each board was 8' tall to begin with, this made it pretty easy to measure and cut.  Check out my puppy, Max, patiently guarding my loot!


I moved most of the furniture out of the bedroom, and my miter saw in.  Oh, how I heart (<3) my miter saw!  That particular weekend was spent measuring, cutting, hammering, and gluing.  Then, I had to caulk the cracks between boards, and then between the boards and the walls, and then paint. 

Fast forward:

Ahhh!  I love it!  At first I was slightly concerned...without the furniture in there, it kind of made the room look smaller.  My first thought was "Sara!  What did you do?!"  Kind of irreversible because I used liquid nails to hold those babies onto the wall...they are NOT coming off anytime soon.  But after I got the furniture back in there, it really started to come together. 

Just in case you were wondering, the bedspread is from Target's Dwell collection.  Curtains are from Ikea, and the curtain rods are from Christmas Tree Store.  The dresser and nightstand are ones that my parents got me when I was growing up.  You can also see part of my all time favorite piece of decor/furniture that I've ever owned...my Adesso lamp:


Man, can that baby light up a room or what?!  It got moved back and forth every year at college, to several apartments, and was living in our living room for a while before it settled into the bedroom.  It is a fantastic option for rooms that have limited lighting, and the last time that I looked it up, it was approx. $150 or so, which is pretty reasonable because I am telling you that you will definitely get your money's worth out of it.  I'm still not sure that it's going to stay in that particular location...my hubby nearly collides with it every morning on his way to our closet!  But for right now, it works. 

More on the headbord later...that is probably one of my more impressive DIY projects simply because everyone thinks that I bought it. ;)  I think that it really lightens up the room and keeps the furniture from looking too matchy-matchy. 

Anyway, I'll be back for more updates later!  Live live the board and batten!  Woo!

0 comments:

Post a Comment