Thursday, October 6, 2011

Beachy Keen Craft Room

The one room that I am particularly proud of is my “craft room”, which, at the present time, is serving as a storage place for random chairs that I have been shifting around the house as I start more and more projects before I finish my old ones finish things up.  This room is considered to be the third bedroom on our house, but it is very small.  Although I’ve never tried, I’m guessing that you would be hard-pressed to fit anything other than a single-size bed in there.  So when I saw it, I immediately thought **ding ding ding! We have a craft room!!** Finally, a place where I can justify storing all of my schtuuuuffff. 
 

This was the first room that I tackled that required anything beyond a simple paint job.   The first task at hand was just cleaning the walls…because I just want to state for the record that those brown-paneled walls were DIRTY.  Like, disgustingly dirty…like, took-3-full-washes-to-get-them-remotely-clean-dirty.  It was during my search for a wall-cleaner that I discovered the power of TSP (or tri-sodium phosphate) *cue angels singing!*, which is an industrial-strength degreaser.  I found it at my local Home Depot (or Lowes), and it’s only a few dollars for a box of powder that you add to water and mix up, so it actually lasts you quite a while.  It’s not something that I would use for just every day cleaning, but it’s really great at getting the stuff off that other cleaners just won’t touch. 

The next thing that I did was rip out the old molding…not because I needed to, but I was sick of the nasty old builders molding.  A lot of the molding in the house was kind of beat up anyway, and I figured that I should start out with the smallest room in the house on my quest to replace everything, just to get an idea on how time-consuming/expensive it was going to be.  Ahhh…that’s how I’m going to justify it to myself anyway ;) If you are considering this, do your homework first and estimate how many linear feet you’re going to need, and how much money you are going to/want to spend.  Lowes and Home Depot package molding together into what are known as “contractors packages”, where you can buy 10-12 boards at a time for a reduced rate!  This molding is usually more on the simple side (so, none of that wonderful ornate stuff that comes in older houses), but fancy molding would have looked odd in my 1950’s ranch anyway.  BUT, my point is, is makes it less than half the price of buying the molding board-by-board.  I did NOT realize that these packages existed when I replaced the molding in this room, so I spent probably 2x what I should have.  But now I know, and now you know too! 


One thing that I did, (and that I’m actually glad that I did), was caulk between all of the pine paneling boards.  You could tell in some places where the boards had shifted and there were decently-sized gaps.  I was afraid that the gaps were going to be really obvious once I painted the boards (think, big dark gaps where the cracks were), so I spent many, many hours and about 5 tubes of caulk filling everything in and smoothing it out with my finger.  I should clarify that I only filled in the cracks, NOT the whole groove between boards. 


Finally, I filled in any holes in the walls, or imperfections in the boards with joint compound and sanded.  Then I primed everything with 2-3 coats of primer, and then 2-3 coats of light sky blue in a satin finish.  I wanted a beachy feel, and since the room is so small, it need a nice light color! 


You’ll notice that I also replaced both the closet door and the main door to the room.  This was because the doors were not in very good shape…the main door was falling off its hinges.  I had replaced the door to the bathroom by that point with a 2-paneled solid wood door, and I wanted to continue the look since the two rooms are next to each other down the main hallway.  So I special-ordered some 2-paneled doors for $75/door (non-solid wood ones…solid wood ones are $200+ apiece and heavier than heck!), and hung them myself (yes, all by myself…with no additional help…this is not something that I recommend for the faint of heart!). 

Where I got everything:
The desk is actually our old dining room table that I got from Craigslist last year for $150 (with 2 chairs).  It’s one of those ceramic tables with leaves that pull out (so it doubles in size).  I got the patterned rug underneath it from Urban Outfitters ($36).  The hooks on the wall also came from there…they were on clearance for $3/hook.  They were originally all different shades of white, so I took them home and spray painted them all a bronze-y color so that they matched. 


The larger sisal rug I got from Marshalls Home Goods Store for $90.  The curtains and curtain rods I got from Big Lots ($5/curtain & $5/rod = $20 total).  The chair in the corner is from Ikea…I think that it was $150. 


The chandelier was another DIY project.  That I will write about later, but the link where I got the idea for it is here.  I basically followed the steps exactly, except that I didn’t use a fruit basket (I used only the wreath form), and I used a hole punch to cut my circles, rather than doing it by hand.  Altogether, that only cost about $12 to do.

2 comments:

  1. What a transformation! From dark and dreary to delightful. I love the chandelier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Katalina Jewelry

    Thank you! I am very happy with how it turned out, even though it did take quite a while from start to finish.

    ReplyDelete