Sunday, November 6, 2011

DIY Wall Canvas

So I must confess that I am one of those people who usually has bare walls in their house.  It's not that I'm not willing to spend money on wall art, it's just that I can never find something that I like that doesn't cost a small fortune, or that fits with the look that I'm going for. 

Well, a few weeks ago I was perusing blogs when I came across this print on Young House Love:


It's so cute!  Even though they say that their version is a print, it looked totally doable with painters tape and a blank canvas. 

It was just my luck that this week, Joann Fabrics was having a sale on their canvases: 50% off the original price, and I had an additional 25% off coupon.  Score!  I had the rest of the materials on hand (tape, paint etc), so this little baby cost me less than $15 to do:


You like?  I do!  I can't wait to find a place for it in the living room.  There's a huge empty spot over my couch that begging for some attention. 

But yes, this was super easy to do with painters tape:


Do a general outline of a heart...


Placing the letters isn't as hard as it looks.  I only had to readjust the "o" a little bit, along with the "M".  It helps to work your way from the outside in, that way you know how much space you have left for the inner letters, rather than running out of space on one end. 


Three coats of grey...I used one of those little 2 oz. acrylic paint tubes that you find at craft stores.  There was a little seepage under the tape...I touched that stuff up with a small paint brush after I peeled all the tape up! 


Ta-da!  Finished result!



2 comments:

  1. so cute!! what a great idea. isn't young house love awesome? it's one of my "dailies". we've lived in our house for a year and a half now and i still have blank walls. i'm not ready to commit to something just for the sake of filling the wall. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @colleen Yes, I love their blog! Such great ideas, and their personal style is quite similar to mine. I'm hoping that the canvas method of wall hanging works out...I'll have to let you know! If I decide that I don't like it someday, I can always paint over it again!

    ReplyDelete