Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Thrift Store Chair Re-do

Last week I told you about the thrift store chair that I got for $5.  I was inspired by Darice's furniture refinishing class, but decided that I'm going to perfect my technique on smaller items (like chairs) before I destroy, ummm, I mean attempt a larger piece of furniture. 


Well, it's finally done and I'm excited to show you the results! 


Isn't she purty?  I'm really happy with how it turned out!  I can't wait to find some more chairs and redo them similarly.  The plan is to have 4-5 chairs for the dining room that are all slightly different styles, but have all been painted, distressed, and recovered in the same way so that they all "match". 

It's called the cheap girl's approach full dining room set ;)  Right now we've got all differently sized chairs with different finishes etc and it just looks sooo awkward. 

Here's the quick (OK, maybe not so quick) run-down of what I did and how I did it:

First up, taking that nasty old seat off! Turns out the seat was only held in by two screws (which means that I've still got to go raid the hubster's hardware drawer in the garage to find two more sometime). 


After that, the chair sat for about a week.  I had every intention of washing it with TSP (my favorite degreaser...oh my it works sooo well), but you know how that stuff goes...it just didn't sound very appealing, so I said "screw it" and skipped right to the painting ;)


Anyway, I used the white semi-gloss paint that I already had on hand.  I use it for all of the trim in my house.  It's Behr's "Popped Corn", which seems appropriate enough since I love my popcorn!  It took 3 coats to cover...and it probably could have used 1 more, but I knew that I was going to be distressing it so I skipped the 4th coat. 


Then, I took my handy dandy sanding block and went to town roughing up the edges and giving it that "I've-been-loved-my-whole-life" look. 


I think that the sanding block was about 100 grit?  Hmm...it was pretty rough, but it didn't say how rough it was, and I lost the package it came in a long time ago.




After it had been distressed to my liking, I went over it oh-so-lightly with my antiquing glaze:

It's the same stuff that I used on my nightstands, but I used significantly less this time.  I used it to just help darken and bring out the areas that I had distressed. 

I didn't put a protective coating on the chair...yet.  I've got some furniture wax on order, but it hasn't arrived.  So hopefully in the next couple of weeks I will wax it to keep it looking pretty :)

After that, the chair itself was pretty much done, and all I had to do was recover the seat.  I got the fabric at Joann Fabrics...it's a Waverly "modern essentials" home decor fabric.  I got 20'' of it for $5.50 (it was 50% off at $10/yard), which is pretty darn good I think!  I have quite a bit left over, so I might even be able to get a 2nd chair cover out of it.  I also got a piece of 2'' foam for $4 for the cushion (I had a 40% off coupon). 


I cut the foam to match the shape of the chair bottom with a razor blade.  I also rounded off the corners of the foam on the top side of the foam, so that it had a more "rounded" look to it.  Finally, I used my glue gun to glue it down to the chair base so that it wouldn't go anywhere when I started to wrestle the fabric into place. 


OK, here is my disclaimer: make SURE that your fabric is centered the way that you want it before you start stapling it into place.  I got a little trigger happy, hence the pink pliers in the picture below to remove about a dozen staples ;) 

PS: some husbands bring home flowers for their wives...mine brings me home pink pliers...it was a set of 3!  I was the happiest girl ever!!


I used a hammer to tap in any staples that were giving my trouble, and then trimmed off the excess fabric.  Then I attached the seat back onto the chair with the two screws and ta-da!!!




One last before:
And after:


*swoon*  I love it so much!  And the best part was, it was pretty easy to do.  I got it done in about 3-4 hours total spread out over 3 nights after dinner, and it cost me less than $15 because I already had all of the tools and some of the supplies. 

5 comments:

  1. this looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fabric you chose! Soo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to see the entire group when you've finished. Loved how the distressing came out, gonna try that one for sure.

    ReplyDelete