Saturday, December 31, 2011

Valentine's Day Ornament Wreath

I've seen a lot of ornament wreaths floating around the blogosphere in the past few months...but I didn't really want to make one until my best friend from high school, Casy, posted this beauty on facebook:


Isn't it so pretty and fabulous? I love how many ornaments are on there! 

Since Christmas is already over, I thought about making one for next year, but then again, Valentine's Day is coming up.  I don't like how the holiday is so commercialized, but I DO love how it's centered around pink, glitter and hearts. ;)  I love everything girly, and it makes me so happy to have an excuse to use it in my home decor! 

Luckily, all of the ornaments are on sale big time right now since it's after Christmas.  I went to Hobby Lobby and got about 65 pink, white, and silver ornaments for $25.  I got some big ones as well as some smaller ones.


I had a yarn-wrapped straw wreath from a previous project, so I just used that for the base.  I've seen other people use spray-painted styrofoam wreaths for the base though!  Either one would work :)


I started gluing the ornaments to the wreath using my glue gun.  I attached the big ornaments first, and then filled in gaps with the smaller ones.  When I was done, it looked like this: 


At this point, all I could think was "Ooooh, the hubby is going to just LOVE this"  How much girlier can we make this wreath??

Well, we can add sprigs of pearly berries, of course!  I used my wire snippers to cut a floral pick of them apart into little clumps:


I glued the berries in place to fill in any gaps that I saw in the wreath.  Originally I thought that I was going to get tiny baby ornaments to fill in the smallest gaps, but I actually had a really hard time finding ornaments that fit my color scheme.  The pearly berries floral picks were something that I already had...I got them at Hobby Lobby at 50% off, so they were just $1 apiece (and I used 2 total). 


This baby is suprisingly heavy.  I used a piece of heavy duty wire and stuck it into the straw base to use as a hook for hanging.  I think that it's going to work just fine.  And I just love how it turned out!  So pink and glittery :)



0 comments:

Post a Comment