Thursday, January 26, 2012

Before and After: Rub 'n Buff Desk

As I mentioned a couple of different times before, I've been working on re-doing this one desk of mine that I got on Craigslist last year.  (By the way...if you think that you have a matching dresser or bed, it's probably true!  My friend has several matching pieces to my desk)


Well, it's finally done! 


I wanted something truly different, so I decided to go with this product called Rub 'n Buff. It's mixture of metallic waxes all packed into a little tube, like fancy schmancy toothpaste.  I had seen some before and after projects that used it, and I really liked the results.  It comes in a variety of colors, but the only colors that they had it in at the local craft store (Michaels), were a couple different golds, and silver.  I picked "antique gold".  It's about $4 for a little tube, but a little goes a long way!  In total, I had to use two tubes for this project. 

I think that it turned out really well!  I learned a lot during this project, so keep reading if you're interested in some details. 

First, I started out applying the Rub 'n Buff with a cloth...the coverage wasn't fantastic or anything, so I switched over to applying it with my finger.  There was an improvement.  So yeah, I covered the whole desk using my index finger :-p  Time consuming?  Umm, yes.  Dirty finger nails?  Oh yes!

When I got done and took a step back, it looked...blotchy.  If you looked at it straight on, it looked fine, but it you looked down at the desk or from a side angle, it looked...weird.  I didn't like it :(  Although I really didn't want to go through all that again, I decided that I wouldn't be able to convince myself that I liked it.

Looking at it straight on...it looks OK!
Looking at it from an angle...not OK!  It looks streaky and blotchy. 
So I went searching for some tips.  I found this blog where the woman had done a bunch of projects using the Rub 'n Buff.  One of her tips was to add deglosser to the the Rub 'n Buff and then paint it on to get more even coverage.  So I went to Lowes and got some deglosser and tried it out!


We have success!  I was so happy that it worked.  Like, really really happy.  Cause I had already put so much time into the desk, and pretty much had my heart set on it being a glamorous gold :)


What do you think?


4 comments:

  1. Wow - what a transformation! I think I'll have to try this too. Thanks for using AMACO's Rub 'n Buff. Can't wait to see your future projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, What type of brush and what size did you use to paint on the thinned out rub n buff?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey--sorry for the delayed response! I used a small painting brush (like what you would use for watercolors)...annnd in true Sara-fashion, I also used my fingers :)

      Delete