Sunday, January 15, 2012

Heart-Shaped No Bake Cookies

They say that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach.  I don't know if it's completely true, but I do know that my husband's eyes light up when I make him his favorite chocolate-peanut butter no-bake cookies!  


They are so easy to do.  All you need is:

1 3/4 cups white sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
3 cups quick-cooking oats
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

First, combine the sugar, milk, butter, and cocoa in a saucepan. Bring these to a boil, and then cook for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat, and stir in the peanut butter, oats, and vanilla. Then drop by teaspoonfuls onto wax paper and wait for them to cool! 

Boiling time is actually really important...boil for too long, and your cookies will be dry and crumbly.  Don't boil for long enough, and they won't set.  I've done it both ways!  They still taste OK, but the consistency is a little off :)

After I dropped the cookies into the wax paper and let them cool for a few minutes, I took a fork and shaped them into hearts:




The hearts aren't necessary...plain old round cookies are just as good, but we all know that I am a sucker for hearts! 



2 comments:

  1. omg there are my favorite cookies ever. in college i used to whip up a batch and eat it straight from the pot... no cookie formation necessary. soooo yummy and worth the burned tongue! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I am so glad that I didn't know about these in college...I was already kind of hooked on mt dew by senior year, and that could have been dangerously sugary combination! :)

      Delete