Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Lemon and Dill Chicken

I love to find new recipes that are fast, healthy, and most importantly easy to do.  I'm the kind of girl who likes instant gratification, and if dinner takes too long to make...well, I get cranky! 

On the other hand, there's nothing more frustrating than finding a recipe that looks fantastic and then looking at the ingredients list and finding out that it needs this obscure spice that costs $7 (that you'll probably never use again)  :(  Ahhh, it makes me so sad.  So when I found this recipe for lemon and dill chicken, I was excited because the ingredients list is simple, and there's a good chance that you probably already have everything to make it in your kitchen already.  That, and it's really GOOD.  I can definitely see this becoming one of our regular dinner meals!


I originally found the recipe here, but I'll copy it below for reference.  If you like a lot of sauce, or you plan on putting the sauce over potatoes or something, you might want to double up on that part of the recipe. 

Ingredients:
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1-1 1/4 pounds)
  • Salt & pepper, to taste
  • 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil, divided
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 teaspoons flour
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, divided
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Note: I used dried dill (not fresh) and cut it in half to 1 tablespoon.  And since I don't have a garlic press, I used a mini grater to get the garlic into small pieces:
Use this to "mince" your garlic if you don't have a press...it works pretty darn well!

Preparation:
  1. Sprinkle the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.  Then add the chicken and sear until well browned on both sides and almost cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a bowl/plate and cover with aluminum foil.
  2. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes. Whisk broth, flour, 1 tablespoon dill and lemon juice in a measuring cup and add to pan. Cook, whisking, until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
  3. Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan; reduce heat to low and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Season the sauce with salt and pepper and spoon over the chicken. Feel free to garnish with additional dill if you want! 

I had a baked potato with a bit of sharp cheese and sour cream as a side.  Mmm...so good!  Normally, I would have some veggies in there too, but since we haven't gone grocery shopping in about two weeks, my selection was kind of limited! 


Did you know that you can make baked potatoes in your crock pot?! This was an amazing revelation for me about two months ago, and now I make baked potatoes all the time instead of the boxed mash potatoes. 

Crock Pot Baked Potatoes:
  1. Wash your potatoes, and pierce/stab them a few times with a knife.
  2. Wrap each potato individually in some aluminum foil.
  3. Put your wrapped potatoes in your crock pot and cover with the lid.  "Cook" them for 8-10 hours on "low" or 4-5 hours on "high". 
Note: You HAVE to pierce them or they won't cook through very well! 

Annnnd, about 20 min later, my plate looked like this.  Mmm...the taste of satisfaction!


Let me know how you like the chicken if you ever get a chance to make it!  :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment