This is what it started out as...thank goodness there's a door to close it off from the world, right?!
This is what it looks like now after it got painted plaid with grey and silver paint.
I added some white storage bins for hats and gloves (up top), and some wire bins for shoes that we're not wearing at the moment (down below). I replaced the original 11'' shelf with one that's 16'' deep so that we've got more room to store stuff too.
I'm still working on doing something with the door. I picked up a new knob for it the other day and I've got an idea on how to pretty it up a bit (other than painting it white).
So why plaid? Well, I generally like to make things much harder for myself than they have to be. It was also "get really involved with a project" or "go do the taxes", and I hate hate hate doing taxes! So while the husband tackled our tax refund (woo!), I got down to business with the painters tape. I was originally thinking a zig-zag chevron pattern, but at the last minute plaid popped into my head, so I ran with it.
True to my form, I ran out of painters tape during the taping process! (This also happened while I was doing the last closet.) So I got creative and pulled up tape in areas where I knew weren't going to be painted. I started out doing the diagonal tape across the whole wall to keep the angle consistent. I didn't measure the spacing between the pieces...I just kind of eye-balled it, and it seemed to work out OK!
Here I am sealing the tape so that it didn't bleed underneath quite as much. Overall, it still bled under a lot more than the last project. I think that it was because this time I painted the base white color in semigloss, whereas the last closet got a matte primer, and the tape didn't like to stick to the semigloss as much.
Painting the secondary silver color!
See what I mean about bleeding under the tape? Darn you textured walls! *shakes fist at sky*
Ahhh, so much better now that it's been touched up with a small painters brush!
You might have noticed that I added the middle stripey line after the fact. I didn't have it marked out during the initial round of painting, but added it in afterwards because the middle of the wall looked a little sparse.
The large wire baskets are from Marshalls for $10 apiece (woo for clearance!). The top bins are from Kmart and were $5 apiece. I added some ribbon and fabric flowers to spruce them up and add some color!
The silver ribbon was a post-Christmas purchase at 60% off for a few dollars, and the flowers were scrap-booking accents that were on sale for like, $1 for one card of them. I used a glue gun to attach them to the bins!
So there you go! It wasn't hard, but it was definitely a bit time consuming. But I'm really happy with how it turned out :)