Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Guest Bedroom: It's Done!

Well, it's 95% of the way done, which is close enough for me ;) You can see the work that I previously did on the room  herehere, and here.  The thing that kept me from finishing up the room a few weeks ago was that I couldn't find a mattress that was less than $300 (yikes!).  Since the bed will probably only be used a few times a year, I didn't want to drop quite THAT much money on one.  I ended up buying a mattress from a store that buys directly from the manufacturer, which means that I snagged a mid-quality twin mattress for only $160.  I haven't slept on it yet as a test run, but I'm chilling out on it right now and it's pretty comfy!

This is what the room started out as...I think that this is the day that we moved in, right after we pulled up the carpets.


And this is how it looks now!  I still need to get some pictures up on the walls, but it's a big improvement.  I know that the wall colors look a bit grey in these pictures, but it's actually a lovely purple.  




I found the "puckering comforter" at Target, and I think that I paid $80 (I had a $10 coupon).  I've seen them carry several color variations of this style of bedding, in both comforter and duvet form.  I'm curled up under the comforter right now it's quite snuggly!  The pin-tuck style is pretty popular right now...I've even seen pricier versions at West Elm too.


The sham for the pillow on the bed I got on sale for $9 at Macy's...it's from one of Martha Stewarts discontinued lines called "Bellport Garden."  It was originally something outrageous like $100 (umm yeah, for ONE pillow sham)...but man, is that thing soft or what!!  I actually found this sham before I chose the colors for the room...as soon as I saw the purple, I knew that it was what I wanted.  So I went to Home Depot, got two test colors that looked similar to it, and had my final color ("vintage mauve" by Behr) selected the very next day!


I've mentioned the gold-sequined curtains before--they were sale purchases from Urban Outfitters for roughly $20/curtain around Christmas-time.  I used four curtains altogether...two for the window, and two for the closet door.   I love them...they shimmer and sparkle and are just so pretty!



The sitting chair in the room is one that used to belong to my great-grandmother.  My dad refinished it for us when we got married, and I got to pick out the fabric!  Isn't it so pretty??  The small gold sequined pillow sitting in the chair was a clearance find at TJ Maxx (a discount store) for $12.  I think that it complements the browns in the chair so well, and it's the perfect size.



The capiz shell pendant lamp was my splurge from Pottery Barn.  I love it soooo much...in fact, I'm staring up at it right now with girly-admiration!  Hanging it didn't prove to be as hard as I thought as it would be, although I had to do some outside research on how to do it, since the included instructions weren't especially helpful!  I also did a few modifications/tricks to "hide" the cords, so I'll try to get a post up about that sometime soon!



I will eventually need to replace the ceiling fan that's currently hardwired in the center of the ceiling with something simpler.   Or at least that's the plan!  The poor husband is having hernia sugary this week, so it will probably have to wait until he's recovered because he's the resident electrical guy.  I'm not afraid to tackle most things, but electrical stuff kind of scares me!  I got shocked by Christmas lights once, and it was...well...for a lack of a better word: shocking!  Go figure ;)


The desk was a Craigslist purchase, and I revamped it using "rub 'n buff."  The knobs were purchased at Joann Fabrics.  I'm still on the lookout for stool or small chair that I can pair with it!


I painted the inside of the bedroom closet with a herringbone pattern.  Of course, the closet has some stuff stored in there now, so it's not quite that clean at the moment ;)


So that's a tour of my new guest bedroom!  I am absolutely in love with it, to the point where the husband and I have hung out in different rooms after dinner the past two nights because I love it so much, and he doesn't like to be in an area that's "really really feminine" (and those are his exact words haha).

8 comments:

  1. love the light lavender!
    We are running a Before and After Link party to support Habitat for Humanity, with a chance to be featured on other big blogs and win gift cards. Would love if you entered! http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/2012-before-after-series/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the color! I'm getting ready to paint my dining room Vintage Mauve in my apartment, and I'm sooo hoping it doesn't end up too dark! The room only gets a medium amount of light.. and my landlord will NOT be pleased if it turns out dark. Well, he probably won't even be pleased that it's lavender- but oh well :) Love your curtains too!! And your scruffy dog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You know, I was worried about the color being too dark too because the guest bedroom only has one window so it is usually the darkest in the house, but the color does not make it seem it seem smaller (phew!). Let me know how your dining room turns out!

      Delete
  3. i am in LOVE with this room! i want to do that exact color and was looking for ideas... i am dying for those curtains, so sad they are sold out and do not look like they were ever restocked! trying my best to find something similar... not having much luck. you have a great eye, love all your stuff on here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on the room. I love the color, and I especially love the herringbone pattern in the closet!

    ReplyDelete