Monday, March 12, 2012

My $25 Craigslist Bed


So this was a pretty busy weekend, which is why I didn’t have time to get a post up yesterday.  On Saturday, I took a road trip to Albany, NY to pick up a bed for the spare bedroom.  (aka: omg, soooo excited!) On Sunday, the weather was absolutely gorgeous…so after I cleaned the house (yuck), I went outside and cleaned out some of our cars (again, yuck), but at least I got to wear flip-flops!  Then, last night the husband and I went back to the Sherwood Inn in Skaneateles, NY where we got married to celebrate our 2 year anniversary J  I can’t believe that it’s been that long!  Time just goes by so quickly!  

Anyway, back to the good stuff!  I’ve been perusing Craigslist for a good month or so looking for the perfect twin-sized bed for the spare bedroom.  I needed something that was going to match the style of the chair that my Dad refinished for me as a wedding gift, since the whole room was basically designed and decorated with the chair in mind (which, I just realized, is almost completely covered up in the photo below...oops!).  I had my heart set on finding a specific style bed that’s called a “Jenny Lind”, “spool”, or “spindle” bed.  I figured the antique-y look would go well with the chair, and that the style could work later on down the road when we have decide to have kids.  

There were several issues though:
1.       Most of these types of beds are antiques and aren’t sized to fit conventional mattresses.  About half of the beds I saw were “3/4” sized beds, which means that they were somewhere between a twin and full size mattress.  Custom mattress = big money.  (the rest of the beds that I found seemed to be full – queen size, which would be too big)
2.       Since most of the beds are antiques, people wanted anywhere from $100 - $1,000 for them (for reals, I saw one listed for $1,100!). 
3.       Some of the beds only had head and foot boards, but no side rails to actually assemble the bed. (bummer!)
4.       Most of the twin beds that I did find were about a 6-8 hour drive away.  And a long drive means lots of gas money and most of my weekend. 


Then I randomly found a post for an antique twin bed in Albany, NY for $25.  It was perfection I tell you, perfection!  On Saturday I drove out with my oh-so-stylin’ station wagon and loaded that baby up and brought it home with me.


Together with $50 in gas and $12 in tolls, the total cost of the bed came to $87, which is worth it in my mind because it’s exactly what I was looking for.  It will need to be refinished, but I’ll probably hold off on tackling that until the weather gets a bit warmer and I can do some of it outside.


Now I just need a mattress, which is another issue allllll in itself.  Since I’ve never had to buy a mattress before, I honestly had NO idea how much they’d cost.  So I just about had a panic attack when the sales guy told me that they didn’t sell any twin-sized mattresses under $300!  For 1 mattress.  Without a box spring. So now I know what that store is selling them for...and that I'll be shopping around and reading some reviews in the next few weeks!  


1 comment:

  1. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained!
    memory foam mattress

    ReplyDelete