Tuesday, March 6, 2012

To infinity [dress]...and beyond!

Holla!  So Sunday night I spent a while making this:


It's called an "infinity dress"!  Aptly named because the super long straps can be tied in a variety of ways, which gives the dress totally different looks.  Just google it, and I promise that you will be amazed!  Mine is also made of a soft stretchy cotton-spandex jersey material and it's soooo comfortable!






You'll be even more amazed to know that it's not hard to make!  It took me about 3 hours from start to finish, but there was a lot of "oh! it's snowing!"...and "oooh...facebook!"...and "hmm...I'm hungry" in there.  So if you really put your mind to it, it could actually take much less time.

And the true color of the dress is much closer to this wine purple-ly color.  The lighting in my room at night is horrible, and editing the photos didn't get me much closer to its true color.


And you HAVE to ignore the mess that I currently call my "craft room"...by stretching the fabric out to cut the straps, I was pretty much pushing the physical boundaries of the tiny little room.  That, combined with a 100 lb dog, who is absolutely positively convinced that he is designed to be a lap dog, and we have very cramped quarters.


So this won't actually be a tutorial, because I'm going to direct you to a couple of great resources that you can use to make one of your own.  (You should also check out youtube for different ways to wear them!)

First, I found the inspiration for this project at See Cate Create, and I followed her tutorial to make my own infinity dress.  She has great handwritten instructions in the link that I posted.

If you're a visual person and need pictures step by step, you can also check out this blog post over at Sew Like My Mom.

Some tips that I found helpful:
1. Use wrapping paper to cut out your patterns.  The rolls with the grid-like cutting guides on the back of the paper are especially useful!


2. Use a zig-zag stitch when sewing your dress.  A straight running stitch won't allow your jersey fabric to stretch and give once you put everything together.
3.  Sketch out all of the different dress pieces on a sheet of paper to help you determine how much fabric you need to buy.  I needed 4.5 yards of fabric.
4.  You don't need to sew the tube top to the skirt (although you can if you want to).
5.  I ended up using a chair to help me pin the skirt to the waistband.  This was just easier for me to do as I gathered up the skirt and pinned it to the waist band.


In terms of cost, I needed 4.5 yards of fabric that I got with a coupon for $6.50/yard.  So the grand total was only about $30!

What do you think?  Would you ever consider making one for yourself?

0 comments:

Post a Comment