Saturday, April 14, 2012

Oh Deer!


**Disclaimer:  No animals were hurt in the making of this faux deer head.  


I think that people are either going to luuuurve this project, or think it's as tacky as powder blue tuxedo at a high school prom.  I am really digging it right now though.


Meet my new foam faux deer head!  I named her Betsy and gave her a flower in her ear, then I realized that only male deer have antlers...oops.

She was pretty easy to do, even though it did take me a while (3 hours).  I have a few suggestions though that might make it go faster for you if you decide to make your own.



I happened upon the project one night while I was perusing blogs.  The project was part of a sneak peek of a book coming out from Chronicle Books, so it was showcased on Chronicle's blog here.  The post was dated two and a half years ago, so technically it's out oh shelves now.  You'll need to go to the post to get the patterns for the deer head.  You can print them out directly from the website, but I copied them into a word document and made all of the image widths equal to 8''.

For this project, you'll need:

  • 1 piece of craft foam (20'' x 30'')...you could probably use cardboard too, and just adjust the slat cutouts accordingly
  • Spray adhesive
  • Wrapping paper in your choice of pattern (I used brown craft paper)
  • A really sharp x-acto knife

After I printed and cut out the pattern, I traced it onto my wrapping paper.  You will need two of the side head profiles!  You might want to unroll your paper a while before you do this, because the darned thing kept rolling up on me...


Then I took everything outside and sprayed a small section of the foam board at a time.  Then I quickly placed one of wrapping paper cutouts over the adhesive and smoothed it out.


 Note that I'm missing the "deer mount" piece because I forgot to print it out!  I freehand-ed it later on, and it turned out fine though.


Then I took the foam board inside and painstakingly cut around the patterns with my x-acto craft knife.  I did this on the floor and watched a bunch of netflix while I was doing it, so it didn't seem so bad.  The foam bits stick to everything courtesy of static cling, so when I got up, I had foam bits stuck all over my legs and butt...oops!

Once you have your foam pieces cut out (with your paper on one side), take them outside again, spray the un-papered side with adhesive, and then lay a small sheet of paper of it and smooth it out.  Make sure that you paper is big enough to cover your foam piece!

This is what it will look like once you've attached paper to the other side of the foam.


Then grab your knife again and use it to trim off the excess paper around your foam piece.


Once your pieces are all cut out, you can assembly the little guy (well, girl in my case), and hang it up!


I added a scrapbooking flower accent to make Betsy look pretty.


To hang her up, I threaded a small piece of string through the back piece of foam and used a hanging hook on the wall.


To make this project go faster, I would definitely use the templates and cut out plain foam pieces to start.  Then I would glue the paper to the pre-cut foam pieces and trim them.  The hardest part was cutting delicately around the paper that was already adhered to the foam.  But it was really easy to trim the excess paper off around the foam shape that was already cut.

Also, be careful where you spray the adhesive:



I'm hoping that it's only temporary...**fingers crossed**!!

You might want to lay down an old sheet or a piece of cardboard before you use the spray adhesive.


Voila!  I had lots of fun making it.  Let me know if you decide to make one too!  I would love to see pictures!

I hope that you all have a splendid weekend :)


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! I am going to make one with my son tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one! Thanks for the useful info.

    ReplyDelete