Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Repurposed Candle Containers

I love getting Bath and Body Works three-wick candles.  Because they can make the house smell good even if the garbage should have been taken out yesterday, the dog is all wet from his afternoon "romp" through every puddle we see, and the husband is out in the garage welding random pieces of metal together (can you say burning metal?!).  Umm...not that that ever happens to me.  Hmm...yeah...


Anyway, as I use up each candle, I'm left with these great glass containers with lids, but I never knew what to do with them...until now!  The other day I found a link on Pinterest from Snapguide on how to clean out residual wax from glass candle containers.  It worked like a charm!  Check out the link for specific how-to's...the general process is:
  1.  Stick the whole container in the freezer for an hour or so...then use a butter knife to break up the wax and dump it out
  2. Use some oil that you have in the kitchen to get the remaining wax out of the container.  The tutorial recommends baby oil, but I didn't have any, so I used a quarter-sized drop of vegetable oil instead, and it worked just as well.  I used a napkin for this part so that I could just toss it in the garbage afterward.
  3. Peel off any remaining candle labels.  I had issues with a lot of leftover label residue, but rubbing alcohol took the sticky stuff off.
  4. Wash your container with dish soap and water, and then dry it off.  Voila! 
I was surprised how easy it was.

Last week I also saw a feature on Curbly on how to create marbled-bottom drinking glasses using nail polish.  I'm sure that the husband would have just LOVED for me to get more glasses ("The more I have to wash!!"<---he's the resident dish-washer since I do all of the cleaning *evil laugh*), so instead I decided to spice up the bottom of the candle containers with the marbled effect.  Then I could stick small candles in them and still use them as candle holders, or I could use them to hold other small things around the house.

The inspiration:

My version:

This was also super easy.  I used a bowl that was a big bigger than the candle jars.  Since I was using one of my prized Pyrex bowls, I lined it with saran wrap first, just in case some nail polish made it to the side of the bowl.


Swirl the nail polish around with a toothpick:


And then dip the bottom of the glass container in.  I left them upside down overnight to dry.  Then I did a clear coat over the marbled color the next day and left them outside because it was nice enough out.


From the bottom they kinda messy, but from the top they look amazing!


Once they dried, they were ready to be put to use!



You can also use them to store things, like cotton balls.  Right now, one of my containers is hanging out on the dining room table, and the other is in the bathroom holding Q-tips:


So what do you think?  Will you be repurposing your old candle containers?

0 comments:

Post a Comment