Thursday, June 14, 2012

DIY Minty Green Bead Necklace

I made this necklace last week after I saw a similar on one of those jewelry websites. It was cute, but it was also $36, plus I hate having to wait for something to come in the mail. I like instant gratification! So I decided to make this one, which ended up being about $10. The best part is that this necklace is made with stretchy string, so you don't have to bother with attaching a clasp or hook. Just slip it on over your head and you're good to go!

My DIY necklace ($10):


The inspiration ($36):


My version is a bit simpler than the inspiration piece, but the upside is that I don't have to worry about it overwhelming whatever I'm wearing it with! Here are the specifics of the how-to...

I got three strands of beads from Joann's for less than $10 (they were 30% off). They were a lovely minty-green color and have the look of natural stones (even though I don't think that they are! oops!). I already had the stretchy jelly cord, but it's pretty cheap stuff and probably only about $2 at a craft store. Make sure that you get beads with reasonably sized holes...you're going to be slipping the string through a few of the beads twice, so keep that in mind when making your selection. Personally, I'm a big fan of larger-sized beads that have the bright color thing going on. They seem to be a big trend right now!


I took my cording, and strung 6 beads. (I started out using heavy thread, so that's what is in some of the demo pictures below)


Take one end of the string and slide it through the opposite end bead to make a loop. See? Easy peasy!


Then I strung 4 more beads on either side of the bead loop that I had just made as a way to space everything out. 


Make as many loops as you want. I ended up doing 7 of them! After I had enough, I added more beads to make it long enough to fit around my neck.


Then I tied off the ends...


Sooo easy!


You may want to change up the pattern on your necklace depending on the size/shape of your beads. If it doesn't work out the first time, pull 'em off and try it again! I actually played around with a few configurations before I settled on this one.


Here it is the day that I wore it to work:


Do you know how many times I took a picture of myself wearing this thing?! It was harder to get a decent self-portrait than it was to make the necklace!

Thoughts? Have you noticed that big chunky necklaces are coming into style this year? I'll admit that I'm not a diehard necklace girl, but this one is working for me!

0 comments:

Post a Comment