Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Tested and Approved: Penne Rosa with Shrimp

A few weeks ago I was on the hunt for a new dinner meal that would be quick and healthy, and I had big time success with this one from Back to Her Roots called Penne Rosa with Shrimp.  It is so creamy and full of flavor--and believe it or not it's actually good for you because the creamy base is made from greek yogurt with a bit of marinara sauce.   


The best part is, you can have this completely ready in about 1/2 hour (and that's with all of your prep work!).  It also has spinach, mushrooms, and tomatoes, which means that you get a nice selection of veggies without having to make a side dish.  Also, since I am a HUGE fan of seafood, the shrimp is kind of like the icing on the cake!  I am hungry just thinking about it (too bad there aren't any leftovers...they are all gone!)  

I've made this three times so far.  Twice with shrimp, and once with chicken.  The results with the shrimp were fantastic!  The results with chicken were mixed, because the sauce turned out kind of thin/runny.  BUT, I really think that this is because of the extra juices that are made when you cook up raw chicken...I'm thinking that I should probably drain them next time before I make the sauce so that it ends up a bit thicker.  

In terms of spinach--I got one of those bags of fresh pre-washed spinach at the store and used the whole thing because when it wilts in the pan, it shrinks down to about 1/4 of its original size.  I wimped out the first time that I made it and only used part of a bag ("The husband is soooo not going to like all of this green stuff in here!"), but a full bag is definitely just right.  Bottom line: you think that you're probably adding too much, but you're really not ;)


So, hop over and get the recipe and try it out because I don't think that you will be disappointed.  Let me know how it turns out!  

0 comments:

Post a Comment