Monday, July 30, 2012

DIY Agate Necklace (for under $10 and 10 min!)

I've been trying to jump on the "statement" necklace bandwagon that seems to be going around lately.  The problem is that I am notoriously cheap practical, so I don't like to spend a lot of $$ on stuff that will only work with a few outfits, or that might be out of style next year.

Enter these lovely ladies:

I admit--I'm obsessed!  You can find these types of necklaces online for $20-40 and up, which was obviously more than what I wanted to spend.    

This is what I came up with:


It is EASY.  I promise.  It took less than 10 minutes.  Annnnd it was cheap (which is the best part!).

These are the supplies:


The two agates were $2.50.  The chain (100''), and then the clasps/connecting rings were $3 each.  So the grand total was $8.50.  I used a coupon on the agates, and the necklace materials were 20% off.

These are the tools:

Raid your boyfriend's/husband's/best friend's tool chest if you have to.  Tell them I said it was OK ;)

First, cut your 100'' chain into three lengths using your wire cutters: 28'', 34'', and 38''.


Pry open a medium size connecting ring using your needle nose pliers.  Slide in the agate and then pry it shut again.  Slide the agate onto the shortest chain (28'').




Grab two small connecting rings.  Pry one open with the pliers and then slide one end of each length of chain on.  Then grab one end your clasp and slide it on too.  Pry it shut again.

Then grab the other connecting ring and do the same with the other end of the chains and the other side of your clasp.  Pry it shut after you're done.  This is what it will look like.  See the small connecting rings that attach the three chains to the clasps?



And voila!


It looks great with a basic color t-shirt.  I've got a mustard-yellow one on below, but it also looks fantastic with black.  


A special shout-out to my friend Beth for being my photographer and making me feel like a model :)  That's her 1941 Plymouth that I'm posing with!



9 comments:

  1. This is really pretty. I would love to make one, where did you buy the agate from? Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the agate at Joann Fabrics because the one near me has a great bead selection. You could probably find them at any craft store that has beads though!

      Delete
  2. love! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful. Thank you. Great car too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does it really count as under 10 if you not only used a coupon but also a sale?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not really under $10 if you got it on sale AND used a coupon. I absolutely love this piece, but the Agates usually cost $7 plus at Joann's and Michaels. It's kind of annoying when people say that a project is "under $10" when it really was only that price for them, not for anyone else who makes it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you frequent Joanns and Michaels then you know that they offer coupons every week. You never have to pay full price for anything.

      Delete