Thursday, August 30, 2012

How to Make Leather Feathers

After I got done making a new seat cushion for my cute little mid century chair, I had a lot of foiled leather scraps left over.  Of course, not being one to throw anything out, I kept them with the hope that I would eventually find a use for them.


Well, I sure didn't have to wait very long, because somehow I came up with these awesome leather feathers.  I'm not going to lie...I'm actually kind of impressed with myself on how realistic they look!


They are pretty easy to make.  First I sewed a straight line up a scrap piece of leather.


Then I cut out some feather-like shapes.  


And then added some notches in the side of each feather.  


And finally cut fringes in the side of the leather.  


Voila!  So easy, right?  They look so real, but are so much more sturdy and durable than real feathers.  Each one is about 0.5 - 1'' in width, and 2 - 3'' long, but you could definitely make them bigger--I was sizing them based on the scraps that I had available.  



I can totally imagine them being part of a boutonniere for a wedding, or dangling from a necklace or pair of earrings.  A wreath made out of them would also look absolutely amazing, but I don't think that I have enough scraps on hand.  What would you make with them?  

0 comments:

Post a Comment