Sunday, August 26, 2012

Sewing a New Seat Cover

I bought this chair off Craigslist a while ago and have been using it as my "sewing machine" chair.  It's a pretty darn good-looking chair on its own, but the seat cushion was just a little too "in yo' face" green for my taste.


Last weekend I finally got around to making it a new cushion out of this gorgeous gold-foiled coral leather that I picked up a few months ago.  When I bought it at the time, I had absolutely no idea what I was going to use it for...all I knew was that it was too pretty to pass up.  



This was a pretty straight forward project.  First I took apart the old cushion at the seams.   Then I traced around each of the old cushion pieces and made matching leather parts.  After sewing the leather pieces together and adding a zipper on the underside, I was done!  Leather is not a very forgiving material to work with...thank goodness this seat cushion was about as simple as they come.



I was able to reuse the foam insert because it was still in good shape.  Here's a pic of the bottom side of the cushion with the zipper.  Because no one is really going to see the cushion's bottom side, I used the part of the leather with the hole-y blemish so that it didn't go to waste.



I think that it looks pretty nice now!  I'm super happy with how it turned out.  Have you sewed anything new lately?

9 comments:

  1. Ohh I love the color! It looks great! I wish I could sew...I really want to make curtains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I'm obsessed with the color now! Gotta love that coral. Learning to sew is definitely a process...I'd be lying if I said that I don't make mistakes (my seam ripper is my bff for some projects like this!)

      Delete
  2. so pretty!

    new follower from gfc blog hop!
    xoxo
    We Are The Tabbs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that color! Hi! I love your blog and am your newest follower. I was kinda hopin' that you'd pop on by my blog, check things out, and maybe follow me back if you like it!

    Have a lovely day,
    Sarah
    www.enjoyingtheepiphany.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work on the seat cover, it looks great! I'm stopping by from the blog hop, nice to meet you and happy to be your latest follower :)
    Shell
    Kitty & Buck

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks fabulous! I love that chair. Just found your cute blog through the blog hop. I'm a new follower. Hope you'll stop by sometime!

    RebeccawithanR

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there - new follower from the blog hop! Love your blog & can't wait to read more :) Hope you have a great day!
    Rachel
    http://sugar-stripes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where did you get the leather?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to know as well

      Delete