Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Sprucing up a Thrifted Dresser

About two weeks ago I purchased this fabulous mid century dresser for $40 during a thrifting adventure at one of my local consignment shops.  Ahhh, I am so in love with those cute angled little legs!

Yes, this is the same dresser that I brought home in the dead of night because I wasn't sure that my husband would understand why I needed another piece of furniture.  It's also the same dresser that I kept in the back of my car for two whole days, and then coerced one of my girlfriends to help me carry it into the house.  By the time the husband saw it, it had already claimed "sanctuary!" in the safety of my craft room.  Phew!

It's quite the rugged little piece.  It's mostly made of wood although the front of the drawers/sides of the dresser are covered with veneer, while the top is actually laminate.  After giving it quick rub down with some scratch remover, it was looking pretty darn snazzy.

To give it a bit of character I made drawer liners for it using a yard of fabric and some fabric stiffener.  Once I soaked the fabric in the stiffener and then let it dry on a flat surface, it became like a giant piece of card stock.  Then I cut it to size and secured it to the inside of the drawers using spray adhesive.

(As a side note, before I resorted to the spray adhesive, I tried using double-sided tape and then those Scotch re-usable tacky squares...neither of which worked very well.  By holding the can of spray adhesive close to the drawers I kept overspray to a bare minimum.)

For the top of the dresser, I grabbed a paint pen and free-handed a modified herringbone pattern.  The best part is, this is totally 100% reversible!

The paint comes off with a bit of rubbing alcohol (or a lot of scratching with your fingernail if you're feeling ambitious), which means that if I ever want to switch up the pattern, I can.  A girl's gotta have options, right?  It also means that the dresser can go back to all of its mid century, plain-jane glory with minimal effort.

So this is what it looks like now after some quick and easy updates:

I'll be linking up this post to Thrifty Decor Chick's monthly "Before and After" party!  So feel free to pop over there and check out some of the cool projects that other people have done too :)  

TDC Before and After


  1. I am in love with this! I have a couple end stands that I think this would look amazing on!

  2. I saw the side tables in instagram, and I agree! They are super cute and were such a good deal :)

  3. This post is related with what I’m concerned with and it’s fantastically made. Thanks very much for your hardworking.

  4. Where did you get the fabric. I have been looking for that exact color combination.