Thursday, August 9, 2012

Tested and Approved: No-Bake Boston Cream Pie Strata

I made this no-bake Boston cream pie strata this past weekend, and it was a-maz-ing.  It's a lovely combination of graham crackers, vanilla custard, and a thin layer of chocolate frosting on top.  After assembling it, you pop it in the fridge for a few hours and the crackers because all soft and cake-like.  

Overall, it's a no-bake dish, even though you do have to prep some of its components on the stove top.  I think that it took me about an hour to do completely prep.  (This was the second time around...the first time I got 90% of the way done with it and realized that I had forgotten to add the sugar to the custard!  It was a big time bummer, let me tell you...so make sure that you read all of the directions and add all of the ingredients.)


I let it sit in the fridge for a good 6 hours before I broke down and finally got a piece, but it probably could have stayed in for a little bit longer.  Don't get me wrong--the crackers were definitely soft, but they weren't as cake-like as they were later on after they had been sitting for longer.  

This dessert was so good that I never got any really legit pictures of it!  I was at work on Monday eating the last piece in silent gratitude when I had that "oh crap!" moment and snapped a few last-minute pictures on my phone before it was completely gone.  So that's why it's sitting in a tupperware container on top of my lovely faux-wood desk ;) 

I got the recipe from the blog The Kitchn (yes, that is spelled right).  The link to the recipe is here.  If you need something tasty and don't want to turn on the oven, I highly suggest that you give it a go!  

0 comments:

Post a Comment