Monday, September 17, 2012

To infinity and beyond!

One of the things that I keep an eye out for while thrifting/garage sale-ing, are cute scarves or hankies with fun prints and colors.  They are usually only $1-3 apiece, and you certainly can't buy prints like this the stores these days!


I have a few larger ones that are about 30'' x 30'' in size, give or take a few inches.  They're too short to tie around my neck like a winter scarf (without risking looking like a boy scout), but too big to fold up and wear as a headband.  Ahhh, what's a girl to do?!  


A few simple runs with the sewing machine is all they need to become a nice bunchy infinity scarf.  Now I've got a ton of scarf options for fall (which is quickly approaching!).


Here is a run-down of the steps that you need to convert a square scarf into an infinity scarf:


Step #1: Fold your scarf in half, with the "nice" side facing inward.  
Step #2: Sew along the open end of the folded scarf.  You'll have a "tube" of sorts when you're done.  
Step #3: Turn the "tube" right side out.  
Step #4: Sew the end of the tube together.  You'll need to leave a good 2-3'' section open at the end to be able to turn it right side out.  Once you've done this, you can stitch the hole completely closed.  

I also compiled the steps with pictures that I took, juuuuust in case my little diagram isn't clear.  


I got my friend Christie from Bedsidesign to help me model one of the scarves.  Isn't she so pretty and photogenic??  Check out her blog...she's got a lot of good design ideas!


We went to Franklin Park in Syracuse, NY to shoot these.  It's such a nice little green space surrounded by gorgeous brick buildings.  If you are local, you should definitely check it out.

Have a great week everyone!  

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! You are now my go-to person for accessory modeling! :-D

      Delete