Wednesday, September 12, 2012

What's in a Name?

A few weeks ago I decided to start using my full name on this blog: Sara Aaserud (awe-seh-rude).  My reasons for keeping it on a strictly first name-basis for so long were primarily work related (I work as an engineer during the day and we do a lot of work for state/federal agencies).  But now I'm here--all of me!  And now I can tell you about the hands-down weirdest thing that's ever happened to me.  

The last name "Aaserud" is my married name, and it's Norwegian in origin.  As you can probably guess, it's not a very common name.  Looking myself up on Facebook yields a grand total of three results.  


A few months ago I went to sign up for a mobile phone app called "Instagram", which allows you to apply artsy-looking filters to any pictures that you take with your phone.  When you sign up, you register with your email address...my personal email address happens to be a variation of my name.  Unfortunately, Instagram was telling me that I already had an account with my email address.  So at this point, I was really REALLY confused, because I had never signed up before.  Luckily, since there was a "forgot my password" option, I applied for a password reset and logged into "my" account.  


Apparently there is a girl named Sara Aaserud who lives in Norway.  We actually kind of look a little bit alike because we both have longer dark hair and brown eyes...except she's younger, probably has way less grey hair, is about 6'' taller, and about 50 lbs skinnier ;) Her email address must be super similar to mine, and she probably just mis-typed it when she signed up.  *Ohhhhh...*

Well, let me tell you that it is not easy getting in touch with someone who: 1) lives on the other side of the world, and 2) does not speak English as their primary language.  I was basically crossing my fingers hoping that she could speak some English, cause there was noooo way that I was ever going to be able to communicate in Norwegian.  

First I tried requesting to be her friend on Facebook, but she didn't accept.  I tried commenting on her friends' pictures on Instagram, but that didn't work.  So I resorted to taking pictures and posting them to "our" profile.  

"Houston--We have made contact!"


Well that got her attention pretty quick.  Now I can't understand what she's saying in the pictures below, but I'm pretty sure it's not "Awww...look at that cute dog!".  Probably more like "Where the heck did that dog come from?!"


All I really needed her to do was just change the email address associated with the account; then I could be free to use my own email address and sign up.  She ended up creating another account entirely so I kept the account that was already open...and inherited a few pictures from Norway along with it.  

I can honestly say that this is one of the more bizarre things that has happened to me!  Have you ever had any mix-ups with your name?  

6 comments:

  1. Oh man this is too funny. I love your pictures with her comments! She probably thought she had a stalker or something crazy. I haven't had this happen yet, but with a last name like Jones anything is possible!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I know that she must have been sooo confused! I thought that it was odd and amusing, but she didn't find it very funny haha

      Delete
  2. Hi Sara! You're in Syracuse I found you via a bedsidedesign! I'm also a Syracuse NY blogger! I can't wait to see more. And I love this post because I feel like this would happen to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you! It's good to know that there are more local bloggers!

      Delete
  3. Similar things actually happened to a few people I know due to their Gmail accounts. I originally got my Gmail account in England-- which apparently (unbeknownst to myself & friends) we could be reached at username@gmail.com or username@googlemail.com (very confusing), but were setup and intended as @googlemail.com. So even though someone in the UK had the @gmail.com (which apparently was googlemail.com?!) someone in US could get the same name @gmail, but not @googlemail! I do not know HOW that worked, very odd. Anyway, Google emailed me a few months back saying they were consolidating all the names and that I would permanently have both @googlemail.com and @gmail.com associated w my username. I never even knew my address showed up as "googlemail" rather than "gmail" until some American friends started asking "WTH is googlemail"... to which I had no answer until I did a bit of research and found this issue. Anyway, glad you got it sorted and happy I've got both addresses to myself ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I wonder how many complaints they got until they figured out the problem! Luckily you won't have any more email mix-ups :)

      Delete