Monday, September 10, 2012

Zip it...zip it good!

Forgive me for the corny title spin-off of Devo's hit song "Whip It", but I am super excited about this project!  The concept of making a zippered lined pouch always eluded me: how do you sew the lining, zipper, and outside fabric together without any of the seams or raw zipper edges showing?  It must be magic! 

It didn’t occur to me—until last weekend—to just google it and watch a video.  Hmmm…so THAT’S how you do it.




Well that seems easy now.  Seriously, check out this video by Lorraine Iley (she's also got her own sewing page on facebook here)…I could not do a better job of explaining it myself. 



Flash forward to today: I can finish one of these babies in about 30 minutes, and now I’ve got three to show for all of my hard work!  I’m entirely convinced that everyone on my gift-giving list is going to get a zippered pouch for the holidays.  I mean, who doesn’t need a stylish zippered pouch?

First up is this gold foiled coral leather pouch lined with a lovely gold plaid lining.  The lining actually used to be a Pier1 tablecloth!  They go so well together, don't you think?  I found the table cloth at a thrift store a few weeks ago, and couldn't pass it up because it was so pretty and in MINT condition.  









Once I made the leather pouch, I was itching to make another one to hold some of my makeup.  My regular makeup bag is a beastly thing, and having something smaller would be so much more convenient to carry around for long work days or nights out.  All of the essentials fit!



Finally, I'm going on a multi-day site visit for work at the end of the month, but I don't have anything to pack my laptop in.  Since I don't think that anyone would be impressed if I whip out my laptop from its typical nest of sweatshirts and lounge pants, I figured that I'd make a variation of the zippered pouch.  Layering some 1/2'' foam and plastic canvas between the lining and the outside fabric of the pouch makes it a nice and cozy home for my laptop.  I used similar lining materials to convert a purse into a camera bag a while ago, and I swear that thing is built like a tank.  I’m not worried about my camera’s safety at all, so I figured that it would be just as good for my laptop. 







Does that blue printed fabric look familiar?  It was one of my purchases from an antique fair that I went to last month!  I love it--it's got little silvery strands running through it.




If we're being honest with each other here, the coral leather pouch was actually supposed to be the laptop case, but it ended up being a liiiiitle bit too small for the computer to (comfortably) fit in there with the padded lining.  (Although the husband was dying to prove me otherwise--"I'll make it fit!")  If you make a laptop case, make sure to cut your fabric big enough to fit the foam padding later on!

0 comments:

Post a Comment