Monday, October 1, 2012

Berry Cluster Wall Art

Never to be one to waste precious crafting time, I made this while watching a couple of movies this past weekend!  I needed to get my fill of Downton Abbey reruns before the third season starts in January! (eeee! sooo excited!)

I rummaged around my hoard of crafting supplies until I finally dug out a large piece of plain white cotton fabric, some crafting pompoms, elastic thread, and a blank canvas.  The inspiration for this project came from here.  This was the final result:





I am in love with the awesome texture.  I can't wait to make another one...I've sure that it would look amazing with a colored fabric!

When I started out, the fabric was a good 9'' larger than my canvas on all four sides.  It needed to be a bit bigger than the canvas because wrapping the "berries" takes up some of the fabric, which makes it smaller in the end.

To make the berries, wrap a pompom in the fabric, and then tie the elastic thread tightly around it.  Trim the excess thread and then voila!  You're done!







I randomly did a bunch of clusters around the fabric.  If you're going to be making this into a pillow or something that will get a lot of use, I would probably go in with a needle and thread and reinforce the clusters.  Pulling or tugging on the fabric would definitely make all of the berries' elastic pop off!


Then I used my heavy duty stapler and attached the fabric to the canvas.  I added some picture frame hangers so that I could easily hang it on the wall, and then I was done.  






2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! I am thrilled that it turned out so well!

      Delete