Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Blast from the Past

So last week I consolidated about 6,000 photos onto my computer from our other laptop.  It. took.  HOURS.  No, scratch that, I had to sleep on it (really, I set everything up in the living room and let it run overnight).

Well, as I sat there waiting for the first two hours, I figured that I would try to look up our house's old MLS listing.  And guess what?  I found it!  

Here is a little side by side comparison of how things looked when we bought the house, compared to how things look today:

Our living room was a work in progress for a really long time, mostly because I had nooo idea what to replace those vertical blinds with.  I finally settled on a combination of frosted security paper and some light gauzy curtains to block out glare on the TV when needed.  I almost (!) went with a light purple in the living room, but I went with Martha Stewart's "sea anemone" on a whim instead, and I am SO glad.  I have a huge crush on all things minty green this season.



Our guest bedroom is by far, the most feminine room in our house.  I went all out with purple walls, purple bedspread, and pottery barn pendant lamp.  Let's just say that I hang out in there sometimes...by myself.  In fact, I'm pretty sure that if my husband didn't object, I'd probably sleep in there too!


Our bedroom is my favorite room.  Notice that the carpets are gone, and I installed board and batten treatment on the walls and painted it white, while keeping the top half of the walls grey.  You can't really tell from the pictures, but the ceiling fan is still the same old ceiling fan, just painted up.  You've never lived until you've tried to stand completely still on top of a bouncy bed with a leeeeetle jar of oil-based silver paint trying to paint a fixture ;) That's fun stuff right there!  The nightstands are garage sale finds that got a new coat of hello-yellow spray paint.  


What happens when your husband goes out snow mobiling on a weeknight for 3+ hours?  You start ripping stuff apart, that's what!  The dining room was my very first DIY project.  I ripped down the old fake wood paneling and put up legit bead board.  Getting rid of the dark color scheme made things look a lot bigger.  Like the artwork?  See this post for the large canvas, and this post for the four leaf clover art!  


The bathroom doesn't took too different...the previous owners had redone all of the tiling about 6 yrs before we bought the house, and although I don't LOVE it, I don't hate it enough to torture myself by attempting a redo.  I replaced the fixture above the sink, painted the window trim white, and also switched out the faucet.  I also replaced the door with a stripped-down solid wood one that was in our garage.


The kitchen remains virtually unchanged...because, well, kitchen renovations are a huge undertaking.  I'd almost certainly have to rope in the husband with that one, and he just loves it when I do that ;) I did switch out the cabinet handles and replace the kitchen faucet though.


1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a difference. It's always great to go back and see how far you've actually come. :-)

    ReplyDelete