Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Stickin' it to the Man and Learning to Ignore the Naysayers


Happy 1 year of blogging to meeee!  Goodness, I can't believe that it's been that long.  To all of you popping by on a regular basis or even occasionally--thank you, thank you, thank you!  Words cannot express how awesome you all are :)

I've talked with a ton of people over the past year about everything related to DIY, blogging, plus a lot more.  One thing that I've heard come up a few times is: "I love your X project...but I could never do that because I don't have the time/skill/ability etc."  Well, why not?  Heaven only knows that I'm not perfect...I'd had my fair share of "fails."  Even if something you do isn't perfect, chances are you are the only one who would be able to pick out its imperfections!  That's why I love this quote: 

We really are our own biggest critic!  Isn't it funny how that works?


One of my "ah-ha!" moments about this happened when I was taking physics in college.  Everything was taking a little (OK, a LOT) longer to "click" in, and I was having a helluva hard time with the class.  My saving grace was the physics department's tutoring program that was run by upper level undergrad students where I could go to get help with my homework on a weekly basis.  In addition to the student tutors, there was also a faculty adviser on site to assist as-needed.  

Well, one day the faculty adviser pulled me into his office and expressed how he had noticed that I was having a hard time with things.  At this point in time, I thought that he was going to offer to explain some concepts to me, so I pulled out my pencil and all of my notes.  However, he went on say that I should consider dropping the class, as it seemed that it was going to be too hard for me.  Oh my gosh, I was devastated and sooo incredibly embarrassed!  I ended up leaving the building in tears.  

The more I thought about it, the more those hurt/worthless feelings turned into frustration and anger--after all, that adviser didn't know me at all and I hadn't asked for his advice to begin with!  Telling a student to drop a class rather than helping them understand the material is not what college is about, and it's definitely not what he was getting paid to do.  I wrote a complaint letter to the physics department and followed up with a phone call.  I was told that the adviser would receive a verbal reprimand from the department. 

I went back to the tutoring sessions the very next week and then every week thereafter.  I avoided negative influences (like that faculty adviser) that would only bring me down.  I worked harder than I've ever worked before.  And you know what?  I passed the class--with a hard-earned "B"!  

It may sound cheesy, but it was at that point in time that I realized that the only person who could hold me back was me!  If I had let other people's expectations or opinions define me, I would have dropped the class or given up.  Instead, I chose to move forward because it was something that I wanted to do, and more importantly because it was something that I believed I could do.  It gave me the courage to begin to reach for goals and tackle new projects, regardless of how crazy they might seem at first.  


I've had similar incidents since college, although nothing quite that extreme.  When something like this happens I always feel a little upset or annoyed.  But being able to step back and take a look at things helps me to figure out exactly what's going on and what I should do to keep moving forward.  Cause let's face it, no one wants to move backwards in life! You might as well learn something, correct your path, and keep on going :)

This next year I hope to pushing myself to learn new things (knitting?), meet some new people (hello readers!), and hopefully "put myself out there" a little more.  Do you have anything you want to do next year?  Do share!  

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love this and Happy 1 year! Mine is coming up in December, and I think that it is crazy! I'm excited to see where this year takes you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am excited too!!! :-D

      Delete