Wednesday, November 7, 2012

When projects get lost...

I have had people ask me before whether or not I've had projects that didn't turn out the way I planned.  That would be a big fat YES.  When that happens I usually try to suck it up and salvage what I've got.  For example, a handmade paper flower garland got made over into a cute little wreath that I've still got up on our front door.  However, sometimes there's just no saving anything, kiiiind of like this project:



The inspiration for this project came from a fantastic art print by Bianca Green called "Louis Armstrong told us so".  Since I have a lot of fabric scraps from past projects, it looked like it should be an easy peasy project (cut out the states in different fabric scraps and glue 'em down), but after days of looking at it up on my wall, I still didn't love it.  And if I don't love something, it doesn't usually stick around for very long.


I think that the problem was that the different fabric patterns didn't mesh together as well as I had hoped.  Also, when I traced out the state shapes, I used a pen on the backside of the fabric.  Annnnd, unfortunately the pen bled through the fabric when I glued everything down...you can see the dark pen around the outlines of each state.


I ended up pulling my sad little map down off the wall and now it's chillin' out in a dark and lonely corner of a closet.  I might have to break down and buy the inspiration print because that one section of wall in my bedroom is still looking pretty bare.

So have you had any DIY mishaps lately?  Do share!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing a less than successful project! I've had a few of those, though often when they happen to me I will try again later. Unless it involves sewing- then I usually just give up. haha.

    Have a grateful day!

    Chrysta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes I usually try to turn a less-than-stellar project into something that will eventually work, but sometimes it's a lost cause. I have also given up on an occasional sewing project ;) so you are not the only one!

      Delete