Wednesday, December 26, 2012

DIY Christmas: Vintage Lace Change Purse

So, about a month before Christmas I asked my mom what she wanted.  She told me spatulas and kitchen towels.  Oh, and a change purse for her credit cards and money because (and I quote), "I keep them in a plastic baggie in my purse, and your father is embarrassed to be seen with me whenever I go to pay for something.  He actually walks away from me!"

Actually, I have to laugh because I have been known to do the exact same thing...except my plastic baggie was inside my change purse.  Why?  I have no idea.  Like mother, like daughter?  At this rate, the odds are not looking good for my little sister...or my future children: "I hereby do bequeath to you gapped front teeth, a 50/50 shot of being tall like your father, and the propensity to place all of your valuables in plastic baggies..."

But I digress!  I ended up making her a cute little zippered leather change purse that is accented with some vintage lace that I snipped off the edge of an older tea towel.  By the way, keep your eye out for older linens that are otherwise useless because they are stained/have holes etc, because they are perfect lace donors for projects like this!  



The inside is lined with a sunny yellow handkerchief that I backed with some iron-on interfacing to make it a bit thicker and more substantial.  It goes really well with the chestnut brown leather!


Everything was done using my sewing machine, although I do have special needles that are a bit thicker and can take the abuse that sewing leather throws at them.  You can find more info on how to sew zippered pouches in this post that I wrote up a couple months ago.



You might not be able to see it, but before I made the pouch itself, I sewed the lace to each square of leather so that it would stay in place.  I tried to disguise the stitches in the lace pattern, but you might be able to make some of them out if you look hard enough.



Did you make any gifts for Christmas this year?  I've got one other post coming up next week about another gift that I made for my dad!  

0 comments:

Post a Comment