Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Bathroom Closet Makeover

We live in a small ranch house so naturally, closet space is quite limited.  The pint-sized L-shape closet in the bathroom never sat well with me.  The shelves were super narrow and dingy, and the sheetrock walls were rough and not finished.  Whenever you tried to put something away, it would inevitably make a bunch of other things fall off (like a bad game of dominos)!  I eventually got tired of picking stuff up, so there was always a pile of things sitting on the floor!

I finally said "enough is enough!" and devised a plan: rip out all of the old shelves, line the walls with beadboard to hide the sketchy sheetrock, and then reinstall new legit shelves that would put the old ones to shame.  Here is the final result:


First up: demolition.  Everything came out pretty easily even though the nails that held everything together were beastly.  The closet is super super narrow though...my hips just barely fit through the opening to be able to do all the work!  Maybe I need to lay off the cookies?



I stocked up on some MDF bead board at Lowes and lined the entire closet to hide the rough sheetrock.  Of course, nothing is ever easy...it turned out that the sheetrock walls that were in there were not square to each other, so I had to use shims to level the bead board out before nailing it into place!  It's still not perfect, but it's a big improvement at least.  

I decided to use doorframe casing to make supports for the shelves because I already had some leftover from previous projects.


The shelves themselves were cut from a combination of plywood (which I already had), and two sheets of MDF (which I had to buy).  Each L-shaped shelf is made up of two pieces.  All of the shelves are removable because the pipe access for the shower is actually in the closet behind one of the sheets of bead board (which is also removable).  Heaven forbid something goes wrong and I need to be able to turn off the water!



I caulked any cracks between the molding and bead board that I saw, and gave everything a nice coat of white semi-gloss paint.





So what do you think?  I basically tripled the amount of storage space in my closet by adding deeper shelves.  It's not a huge change, but it makes SUCH a big difference.  And now I can actually store towels in there!



I still need to install some baseboard along the bottom of the closet and figure out what I'm going to do with the floor.  When the house's previous owners renovated the bathroom they did not tile into the closet, so there is a bit of the a floor level gap!  I tried to pull up the existing peel and stick tile, but it's still a mess.  Any ideas?


4 comments:

  1. seriously girl...you are awesome!! love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I am so happy that I finally finished it...it took about 2.5 weeks working on it on and off. Better late than never, right?

      Delete
  2. Wow, it looks so much better! Great job. The small changes make all the difference, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I think that my favorite projects looking back are all of the little functional things...like adding hooks to walls and extra shelving etc. Makes life so much easier (and hides so much more stuff!).

      Delete