Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Review of West Elm Duvets

I always feel so fancy schmancy when I say the word duvet.  My husband always mocks me because I like to say it with an english accent ;)  Truth be told, I didn't even know what a duvet even was until about 2 years ago.  In my mind there were only comforters and quilts.  If you wanted another "look", you just bought another blanket.


Then I thought that the only only way you could use a duvet was with those pristine white comforter inserts.  Ehhhh, wrong!  One of my girlfriends told me:

"Just stuff one of your other comforters inside a duvet...I do it all the time!" 

Yes, I know what you're thinking..."Whaaaat?  This crazy girl didn't know this already?"  Yes, yes, I'm sorry...they didn't teach me all this important stuff in college!  ;)

Well, now that I know that duvets can be paired with any fluffy comforter you have on hand, I've officially been converted.  I'm pretty picky with what I buy, but I've had some really great luck with West Elm duvets. I have two of them, and I love them both!  I wish that West Elm had room on their website to leave reviews--a lot of times, whatever I consider buying is heavily influenced by what other customers say they like/don't like about something...especially in regards to quality and durability over time.  Lucky for you I'm gonna give you the 411 on what I think right now.  OK, go!


First, I got this organic fall blooms duvet because it just looked like it would match my guest bedroom perfectly.  Oh boy, was I right or what?  It looks like it was custom-made for the room!  I fold it up along the foot of the bed for extra warmth for whoever stays in there, but I have also used it on our bed when I'm in the middle of washing our normal bedding, and the fabric is really nice and comfortable.





The second West Elm duvet I have is now on our bed.  The comforter that I used to have on our bed with extremely feminine because it was 90% light pink, and I always felt a just a leeeetle bit bad about it (for the husband's sake!).  For about the past year I have been keeping my eye out for something more neutral, that fit into the grey and yellow color scheme that's going on in here.  I was thrilled when I found the winter ikat duvet which is everything that I wanted and more.  Plus the husband actually likes it (go figure!).


I will point out that I think that the colors are a bit more muted in real life than they are in the promotional pictures on West Elm's website.  Their website also makes the "warm green" accents in the fabric look...well, really really yellow.  In reality, it's more of a lime green/yellow (which is stated in the description, but who reads that stuff anyway?).  It's kind of a nit-picky thing, but I did want to point it out, especially since my first duvet was really true to color.


I was also pleasantly surprised to find that both duvet closures are outfitted with cute little white pearly shell buttons, which was really the icing on top of the cake.  They don't show this in the promotional pictures.



With both duvets, I waited patiently for them to go on sale (30% off).  I also scored free shipping, which meant that these guys were also really reasonable price-wise.  So far, each one's been washed a couple of times, and everything's been fine.  I can see myself going back to West Elm in the future if they come out with something else that fits with my style.

12 comments:

  1. Oh! I'm in the market for a duvet (read in my English accent) and this is super helpful. I always wonder with things like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! I'm glad that this helped :) A lot of their stuff is on sale right now too!

      Delete
  2. They are beautiful. I love West Elm. When I'm in New York, I always have to go and look at the store and then I don't want to leave ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been in the store! It's probably a good thing there's not one around us, or else I'd own a lot more than just two duvets haha

      Delete
  3. *which is stated in the description, but who reads that stuff anyway?*


    So you don't read the descriptions, but you'd read reviews? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guilty as charged! ;) I figure why read the description when I can look at pictures?

      Delete
  4. i appreciate your review of the organic fall bloom duvet. its on sale now. i want some neutral for my fiance and i. - Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Pinterest acct is 'Love Is A House' - Lucy :)

      Delete
    2. I really love their duvets. The ikat one on my bed has been washed SO many times at this point and it still looks and feels great! You can't go wrong with them, especially if they're on sale :)

      Delete
  5. I was about to order my duvet from West Elm and was disappointed that there were no reviews...happy that I googled it and found your site! I feel a lot more confident about my purchase... Funny you mentioned "duvet"...we received our down comforter as a wedding gift and it was shipped to my husband's parents' house...my husband called me to say that we got a "DOVE-IT." I was like, A WHAT??? HAHAHA...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this post. It has helped me to solidify my purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This space is very nice.I LOVE its.I hope i will have a room in the house.
    Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete