Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Kitchen Update: Cheerio yellow

Hey all!  I am happy to report that 95% of the cabinet insides are painted, which means that I'll be able to start storing stuff back in the kitchen again!  Two coats of primer and 3 coats of final paint was a LOT of work.  When I first started, I remember thinking that I'd have it all done in a week or so.  Ha, yeah right!  We're going onto week #3 of painting, which just goes to show that things always take longer than you think...you'd think that I would know that by now, right?


I made things easy on myself and followed the painting procedure that Young House Love developed when they painted their kitchen.  First I primed everything using Zinsser's Smart Prime, and then applied three final coats of paint--I used Benjamin Moore's Advanced paint in a satin finish.  I had them custom tint it to match the trim in the rest of my house (Behr's "popped corn").  The only thing that I did differently during the process was that I skipped the inital prep of liquid sand paper because if you remember correctly, I sanded my cabinets down to within an inch of their lives using my small sander because they were pretty dirty and needed some wood-filler lovin'.  I am also going the extra mile and painting the insides of the cabinets white instead of leaving them in their raw wood state (they were nasty nasty dirty).  


The biggest pain in the butt out of the whole process were the inside corners of the cabinets.  I rolled as much as I could with my mini roller, but of course round rollers don't fit nicely into corners so I had to use a brush to paint those instead.  Well, the brush doesn't cover nearly as well as the roller, so I was left with very obvious inside paint lines around the corner areas.  So the corners got a 4th coat of paint, and I think that I made need to go in and touch up certain areas a 5th time.  I found that a cheap little foam brush actually worked pretty well in terms of coverage (but I only figured this out at the end!).  


Anyway, how 'bout those bottom cabinets, eh?  BRIGHT.  Believe it or not, when I applied the first layer of yellow, they looked positively fluorescent--like I'd colored them in with the brightest highlighter I could find.  I think that it was because of the white primer underneath, but it really freaked me out at first!  



The color mellowed out a bit with a second coat of yellow, but they are still super bright.  Almost as bright as...my Cheerio box!   


The yellow has been up for about a week now, and although I kindaaa like it, I'm not totally in LOVE with it, which means that it's gotta go.  I'm in the process of trying to find a slightly more-mellowed out yellow so that I can repaint them (maybe this weekend?).

Also up next is painting the kitchen cabinet doors and the molding that will convert them from flat panels into shaker-style doors.  The husband was kind enough to sand all of them down for me this past weekend (with a lot of prodding).  I've also got a fun little project planned for the inside of the upper cabinets, so with a little luck, I will get that done this weekend too!  


7 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm speechless Sara! You will have a seriously awesome before and after.
    I was charmed by your bright yellow cabinets but change them if you aren't totally happy with them. Now is the time. And I agree things always take longer than you think!
    You really deserve a huge pat on the back! This is beyond awesome already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think that I need to do a slightly more mellow yellow (maybe just a touch more brownish?). This color is just too..."out there" haha. I am so ready for painting to be done!

      Delete
  2. wow, i think it's looking great! i like the yellow, but i'm sure it's brighter in person. we are thinking of painting our cabinets, they are a mehhh off-white right now. i'm just scared to take the plunge, 3 weeks is a lot of painting time....way to go! can't wait to see when it's all done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three weeks of painting = painting 99% on my own (the husband refuses to help haha). I had a friend help me with one coat, but it's mostly me painting on nights/weekends.

      I say paint them! If you decide you don't like it later on, you can always change it (that's what I keep telling myself anyway!). It is a lot of work, but it's better than what it was, that's for sure :)

      Delete
  3. WOW that is bright! I can't wait to see what you do decide to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I hope to get more stuff done this weekend. It's slow going, that's for sure!

      Delete
  4. I love them and I'm not a fan of color!

    ReplyDelete