Monday, April 15, 2013

Kitchen Update: Gorgeous Lined Kitchen Cabinets

This past weekend I started putting things back in the upper kitchen cabinets!  Can I get a "hallelujah"?!  Such a relief to reach up and grab a bowl instead of hunting around the house...




Pssst...don't you love all of those glasses?!  They're all thrifted!  I found the gold striped ones a couple of weekends ago for $0.70 apiece.  

Speaking of upper cabinets--notice anything different?  I lined the backs of the cabinets with pretty printed fabric!  Obviously the cabinet doors aren't up yet, but the idea is that once you open the cabinet door it will be like a mini *surprise*  Cause I mean, who doesn't like surprises?  Especially ones this pretty...




I hunted around for the perfect fabric for quite a while, and finally hit the jackpot with a clearenced shower curtain at--you guessed it--Target.  To line the back of the cabinets, I wrapped the fabric around cardboard forms, so if I ever get the urge to change it up in the future, all I'll have to do is re-wrap the cardboard pieces and pop them back in.  



Although I probably could have scrounged up cardboard from various boxes etc, I chose to buy tri-fold presentation boards at Joann Fabrics (I used coupons so three of them cost me about $8). I really wanted to use foam board, but it was going to end up costing me a lot more, so I changed my plans.



The lower part of the cabinet that will hold the microwave got fabric that was just a little bit more neutral since it will be visible all the time. It's a nice yellow that meshes well and has a subtle silver printed design.  From a distance the silver looks grey, but I really like it because it matches perfectly.  




The process was pretty simple: measure the cabinet wall, cut cardboard to fit, and wrap the cardboard with fabric.  I used duct tape to secure the fabric around the cardboard.  I considered using my hot glue gun, but thought that the glue might wreak havoc on the cardboard if I tried to remove it later on.  Last but not least, I used little sticky squares for posters to keep the cardboard pieces stuck to cabinet walls!




I'm doing my best to purge all of the bowls, plates, and cups as I put them back in.  I still have more stored away in boxes that need to be put back, but this is a start!





8 comments:

  1. The fabric looks amazing. I love that added detail and your thrifted glasses area beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think that it helps keep the kitchen looking semi-decent while the rest of the house is in varying states of disaster ;)

      Delete
  2. Love, love love! Jealous of your glasses - I was just saying last night to my husband that we need glasses desperately... now I'm planning on thrifting some :) Also really like your patterned bowls the white with blue and black - where are they from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that my favorite thrifted glass is the blue Ball jar! I always get so excited when I find them second-hand...it's kind of like hunting for Easter eggs when I was a kid ;) The black/white and teal/white bowls with the patterns around the edges are made by Cynthia Rowley...I got them at TJ Maxx/Marshalls Homegoods a couple of years ago.

      Delete
  3. Love the glasses and I didn't even think to do cardboard backing for the shelves. That's awesome...and is making me want to remove the doors on some of our ugly cabinets....hmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When in doubt, remove the doors! You can always put them back on again :)

      Delete