Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Kitchen Update: Installing the bottom doors

So, I will preface this post by saying that within the past year, I have become increasingly aware that 24 hrs in the day is simply not enough time to get everything done that I want to do!  Between work, home improvements, finding time for friends, working out, keeping the house relatively "clean", and walking the dogs, I'm left with increasingly little time at the end of the day.  It bums me out to no end that I haven't had time to get a blog post up in the last two weeks! :(  Does anyone else feel the time crunch?  Please tell me that I am not alone!  

Alas, enough about my lack of time and onto the more interesting stuff :)  I finally got the drawers and doors on the bottom cabinets!  What a difference it's made...I can hide so much more stuff now, it's amaaaazing...




I don't know if I mentioned this before, but I had decided long ago (before I even started the kitchen), that I was going to do brushed nickel cup pull handles on the drawers and simple knobs on all of the doors.  I managed to find some on sale at Target--my knobs ended up costing me less than $1 apiece, and the pulls were $2 - 4 apiece (I got some on sale and paid full price for the rest).


That made it super (!) easy for me to decide on knobs--no agonizing decisions for me!  


The hinges were a pain to install.  First we screwed the hinges to each door, and then we attached each door to its cabinet.  (This is an old picture of the hinges that we used to  have next to the hinges that we have now.)


Regardless of how firmly you held the doors in place when installing the hinges, they always shifted out horizontally when you screwed them down to the cabinet. This was a pain because all of the doors have inset pieces that are supposed to fit snugly within the cabinet opening.  So if you started out the with door perfectly aligned within opening, it would almost always end up contacting the sides of the cabinet once you had it secured down.  We had to take off some of the doors and trim some wood off the inside edges with a router on more than one occasion to keep things from sticking:





Another perk of having old cabinets--sometimes the doors are slightly warped, which means that they may not sit perfectly flush against the cabinet, like this door below.  I guess that I never saw it before I went ahead and painted the cabinets.  But see how the top end is slightly further away from the cabinet than the bottom end?  You probably wouldn't notice unless I pointed it out, but it's there all the same.  


Having the doors on makes a HUGE difference.  Looking at the kitchen now and how far it's come, it's hard to believe that they are the same cabinets!  



14 comments:

  1. LOVE them - they look amazing and the yellow just makes everything look happy! P.S. I love that sink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It does make everything look bright and cheery :) And the sink is so convenient--I always have a place to put clean dishes to dry without getting water everywhere.

      Delete
  2. I love the cabinets, Sara! Looks great and I'm so excited for you!
    And you aren't alone. I feel the time crunch all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I am so glad that I'm not alone! And now all I have to do are the upper cabinets--let's see how long that takes me lol

      Delete
  3. It looks so great! I love seeing the progress between blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Day-to-day things don't seem to change too much, but looking back at pictures from a few months, it's crazy how different things are.

      Delete
  4. Looks awesome, love it all.. the floor needs to go soon though lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I know, right? The floor, the plywood counters, and that horrible "back splash" wall. They are all hideous, but after you live with them for a couple of weeks, you'd be surprised how well your eyes look past them! Gotta love "selective seeing" ;)

      Delete
  5. Nice to see... And Thanks for step by step guide...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the color! You did an awesome job painting and installing those bottom doors. Also, I commend you on the part where you haven’t thoroughly painted the other side of the door. Painting it could just cost you. What’s important is the outer side where people can see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My doors are the same as yours, with the rounded edges. How did you get the rounded edges to be flush with the squared edge when you added the shaker wood?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I all the time used to read piece of writing in news papers but now as I am a user of internet therefore from now I am using net for articles or reviews, thanks to web.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful, what a blog it is! This webpage provides useful data to us, keep it up. Wood Flooring | Hardwood Floors

    ReplyDelete