Monday, July 22, 2013

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!


And by "the most wonderful time of the year" I mean thrifting and garage sale-ing time ;)  Yes, yes, I get positively giddy when summer comes around because one man's trash is this girl's treasure!  Oh, and it's also s'more season...you gotta have s'mores during the summer (pssst...if you haven't tried them with peanut butter, then you are missing out big time).

Last weekend I managed to hit up a couple of thrift stores in my area.  Apparently everyone and his brother is cleaning house right now, which means that both of the thrift stores I went to had some crazy awesome stuff.  So if you happen to like thrifting, get thee to a thrift store ASAP.  And then fill me in on what you found :) 

First up, I found 7 Dorothy Thorpe-style mid-century glasses for 99 cents apiece.  (If you are a regular reader of my blog, you may remember that I found 8 of them a couple of months ago at an estate sale for 50 cents each.)  I also found this patterned mid-century style glass for 69 cents, and even though it was all by its lonesome (aww), it matches a lot of my other thrifted glasses from past adventures, so it’s right at home in my cupboard.  


Second, found this killer artwork for $1.99.  OK, so admittedly, the artwork itself kind of sucks—it’s a mass-produced print rather than an actual watercolor—but check out that frame!  It looks like wood, but it's actually made out of plastic.  When I saw it I immediately thought “spray paint!” but after looking at it all weekend, I am thinking that I may just leave it as it, because it's very close to the color of my hardwood floors.  Now I just need to find something awesome to frame inside it. 


In other related news, if you HAPPEN to live in Upstate NY (lucky you!), the Rt 90 garage sales are happening this weekend.  This is a 50 mile long garage sale that occurs every year, and it happens to go right through my hometown of Union Springs, NY.  I’ll be meeting up with two of my best girlfriends from high school to drive around and scope stuff out.  If you see us out and about, make sure to say "hi!"  This is a picture of the three of us at Casy's wedding last month: 
Later on in August (16th - 18th) is the Bouckville Antique show, which is about an hour from where I live right now.  I went for the first time last year and it was a lot of fun--there was so much cool stuff all in one spot!  You can pay $5 to get into the gated show, although there are so many vendors that set up shop down the main street of the town that you really don't need to.  Read more about the stuff I found last year here.  

So that's it for now!  Check back later this week for an update that I did for our bedroom, which is officially now the FIRST room that is back in order after having our hardwood floors redone :)  Yay for progress and organization!  

1 comment:

  1. Love the glasses and frame. And I think your first thought of spray painting is totally what I would do.
    Have fun with your friends!

    ReplyDelete