Monday, July 29, 2013

Newly Re-tufted Headboard

Last weekend I finally got our bedroom back in order!


It looks a little different from before:

I did a couple of things.  First, I moved the painted rug from the living room into the bedroom.  I moved the "home is where you are" artwork that was in the dining room to fill in the gap on the one wall.  I also re-tufted the headboard in a nice teal-blue color!


I had made the original tufted headboard back when I first started blogging about 1.5 - 2 years ago, so the tutorial there is pretty sparse.  I did another tufted headboard for my friend earlier this year that has much better pictures of the overall process :)

Anyway, over time the white had become...well, not so white anymore.  Yuck!  And that was after I had protected it with fabric protectant too.  It is for this reason that I do NOT recommend white for a tufted headboard. You have been forewarned!


Once I decided to recover the headboard, I asked the husband what color he thought I should do.  He said that he'd like blue, since we don't have a lot of it in the house.  Now, normally he isn't very good at design-related stuff (he'd have cardboard boxes for furniture if I let him!), but I think that he nailed it this time.  I ended up using the twin size fitted sheet of a sheet set that I got at Target a while ago for another project.  It was plenty big enough for my full-size headboard.


I also purchased some clear acrylic beads to use for the tufts.  They were 50% off, so they only cost me about $8 total.  The beads were WAY way cheaper than buying the covered buttons (which are over $1 apiece and a total pain to assemble anyway).


I didn't have to worry about rebuilding the headboard--I already had the foam and batting in place and and all of the holes were already drilled in the plywood base.  I did have to take off the white fabric that was already on the headboard though.  I ended up using a flat-head screw driver to pry up under the old staples and then used a set of pliers to pull them out.  This part actually went really quickly with the screw driver!


Everything went really smoothly.  It only took a few hours to recover the headboard once the old fabric was off.  




 I'm not sure that it's my best tufting job ever--sometimes it's hard to see how tightly things are pulled until the final staples are in the back!  I may go back and reposition the beads at some point to make things a bit tighter, but for right now it's OK.


And that's where the bedroom stands right now!  It feels good to get one room totally back in place after moving everything out to have the floors redone.  What projects have you tackled recently?


6 comments:

  1. Love the color of the headboard now! Really makes the bed the focal point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am glad that I went with the teal/blue as well...hopefully it will hide the dirt better lol

      Delete
  2. I really love the wonderful things that you can do with Threshold products from target. I think this + the shower curtain fabric for the back of your kitchen cabinets are awesome. You could be a brand rep or something! :)

    Hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I would love to be a brand rep for Target! Their Threshold stuff is so great...I hope that they keep it up.

      Delete
  3. I love it! The blue really does make the room look more pulled together. And the rug adds a nice cozy touch. Also, I love that you used the crystal looking beads for buttons! Really cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Britney! I used to have a dark grey fuzzy rug in there (not in the before picture here though)...but the rug kept getting trampled and only looked nice right after I vacuumed! I think that the one from the living room makes it look a bit brighter too because it's not as dark.

      Delete