Thursday, August 15, 2013

Back in Business: The Living Room


I finally have the living room back in order!  It only took me 1 month to do it, but I'm finally there ;)  


I replaced the painted rug that had been in the living room with this woven wool rug that I got off Craigslist a few months ago for $120.  The rug was brand new (still rolled up!) and originally from Rugs USA.com.  

I really like the rug...I think that it will clean and wear really well, especially with two dogs who like to track in all kinds of dirt.  The only downside is that it is pretty thin and likes the ripple/wrinkle like a Ruffles potato chip (mmm...potato chips...).  I have it anchored by the TV stand/couches on most of the corners, but it's still not quite taut, which is secretly driving me crazy.  Look at it taunt me...



And no worries, the painted rug found a new home in our bedroom (I don't think that I will ever part with that thing after toiling for hours on it!).  


Next up?  I also switched up the pillows!  I'm going for a more "global" look, if that makes any sense coming from a girl who hasn't done too much traveling.  I was playing it safe before with pillows that echoed the minty green walls, but right now I'm just craving color--it's kind of like an addiction!  



I bought the two green pillows with the pom poms at Marshalls Homegoods store for $20/pillow.  Unfortunately, I think that the pom poms are going to be a long term maintenance project because they keep popping off like a frat boy's collar, which is super annoying, but I do love them.  

I also made the coral/peacock blue pillow covers a couple of weeks ago after I came across the coral flower fabric at Joann Fabrics totally randomly.  There are a ton of tutorials on how to make pillow covers floating around online, and since I don't consider myself to be a grade-A seamstress I'm not going to reinvent the wheel and bore you with a how-to!  


I made the plaid gold pillow covers on the right last year from a thrifted table cloth from Pier One.  The patterned pillow cover on the left are kantha pillow covers from Overstock.com.   



Apparently our dog [Brooklyn] likes all of the pillows too, because sometimes when I walk out into the kitchen in the middle of the night to get a drink of water he's camped out amongst them: "Hi mom! This is the best seat in the house!"  What a little booger...


I replaced the metal shoe crate by the front door with a colorful basket from TJ Maxx (similar to Homegoods), for like, $13.  The metal crate that was there is now housing our recycling cardboard/papers in the kitchen.  (Psssst...did you see my cute recycling bin for bottles/cans last week?!)


I still have my hooks by the front door, and lately I've been storing my scarves and bags there.  See the purple-hued sisal bag?  I just got it from a vintage clothing vendor on Etsy, Vacation Vintage.  It's great for carrying my smorgasbord of foodstuff to work every day.  This girl refuses to go hungry...


And last, but not least, I recovered the lampshade!  I'm still not 100% sure that I love it yet...only time will tell.  I might have to do something different, but this works for right now :)  


And that's it!  I hope that you all have a great weekend.  I'll see you all next week!  

1 comment:

  1. Love the rug and I can't believe you found it on Craigslist.
    Brooklyn is so cute :)

    ReplyDelete