Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Garage Sale Finds - Rt 90 Edition

So two weekends ago I went to the Rt 90 garage sales with two of my best girl friends from high school!  It was a lot of fun and we saw some cool stuff.  We only covered about 15 miles of the total 50 mile garage sale route, but I still came back with a few things.  All in all, I spent $15, which is pretty darn good I think.

First up, I found three cute cast iron/metal trivets.  The one on the left was $1, and the two on the right were 50 cents apiece.  I didn't realize the one was a bit broken when I got it because it actually had some wire wrapped around it (tricky!).  The red one matches another trivet that I found last year at a garage sale!    Needless to say, I have plenty of trivets now...


Second up, I found more mid century style glasses!  (Husband: "greaaaat...more glasses!")  These ones are more cone-shaped than the last ones that I found, which I actually like because I think that they're easier to hold.  I got 7 of them for only $2!


So, why are there only 6 in the picture?  Well, the husband did dishes this past weekend and he "accidentally" (or maybe not...we'll never know!) dropped one of them into a second glass and broke them both.  And that, my friends, is why I get all of my glasses second hand.

Lastly, I found this super cute carved side table (search for "carved table India" on eBay to find similar ones--they aren't too expensive!).  When I first asked the price, it was $15.  I thought about it, and ended up going back at the end of day and got it for $10.  The table base detaches from the top and legs fold up!  It's so stinkin' cute!



When I first got it, it was pretty dirty.  I was initially hesitant to wash it because the wood was actually unfinished, but it really really needed a good scrubbing so I finally ended up gently washing it in the kitchen sink with a toothbrush and some cool water.  Believe it or not, washing it actually made it look worse because the dirt had been camouflaging the water marks where people had left their drink glasses!


To keep that from happening in the future, I waxed the table  using the stuff I already had in my cabinet--Howard Feed-n-Wax polish--which made the table this gorgeous, dark rich color (umm...and the wax I used actually smells fantastic too, believe it or not!).  After starting out applying the wax with a Q-tip (!), I finally got smart and switched to a toothbrush to get into all of the nooks and crannies.  It was SO much faster!  Now water beads right up on it, and it's the perfect little side table in the living room.


Oh, and I also spent $1 on the first book of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series for my little sister (who is 13 yrs old), because I read the books when I was younger and thought that they were great!  By the time I left to go home that night, she had already plowed through half of it, so I'm glad that I got it for her :)

And there we go!  My most recent second-hand adventures.  Have you found anything good recently?

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like so much fun! Love all the things you found.

    ReplyDelete