When I was in Greece earlier this summer, I got this really awesome oil painting of a couple of pomegranates. Its style is a bit more traditional than the stuff that I normally gravitate towards, but I love it for its bright colors. Naturally, I bought it within the first two days of our trip, so I got to haul it all over Greece with us for the next 12 days of our trip ;)
When I got it home, I realized that finding other art that kinda/sorta matches it was going to be an issue. I couldn't just toss it up on the wall with the custom car prints in the living room because it was just so different than the other art that I already had. However, I didn't want to spend a lot of $$ finding stuff to match it, because I'm still trying to build my bank account back up from redoing the hardwood floors.
I saw this pin on Pinterest of some artwork using straight pins (the ones you use to hold fabric together while sewing), which I thought was very cool because it's got a neat 3D element to it. I decided to try it out using the frame that I thrifted a few weeks ago.
I covered the really ugly and definitely mass-produced picture with some cork board that I already had leftover from a previous project, covered it with some teal taffeta fabric (left over from making pillows for the living room).
I sketched out a template letter "A" from a nice-looking letter I found online...because A is for awesome (just kidding, it's for our last name!). Then I got to work...
...about 500 push pins into the project, I hadn't even gotten the "A" outlined, my finger tips were sore from pushing them into the cork, and frankly, I just wanted see some results! I know the saying goes "never give up", but I really was fighting losing battle so I ditched the straight pins and moved straight to thumb tacks because one thumb tack covers the same area as 50 push pins (apparently).
But...back to the thumb tacks...
SOOO much better! And easier! And I only used about 150 thumb tacks total :) And most importantly, it looks cute. Even the husband commented that he thought it looked good, which is really impressive, because he didn't even notice when we got a new rug in the living room until it had been down on the floor for over a week (true story).
I had to play around with the spacing of the thumb tacks a little bit. When it became clear that sometimes you really only needed 1/2 of a thumb tack, I carefully layered one on top of the other. Voila! No one can tell that the spacing isn't 100% perfect.
I'm working on getting everything hung up on the wall right now. Hopefully I have it ready to show to you next week :)