Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Kitchen Update: Upper Doors are Up!

Ahhhh...we have upper kitchen doors again!  The husband was gone for the entire weekend a couple of weeks ago, so I seized the opportunity to finish painting the upper doors.  From there, we tag-teamed hanging them up on a Friday night.  What can I say?  We live life on the edge...you should be jealous ;)  



The problem that popped up was this:  We had to make a few select cabinets by hand because our existing cabinets have some funky dimensions, and we completely reconfigured the cabinets on the oven wall.  When I calculated how large the new doors would need to be above the microwave, I didn't take into account that I would be putting another piece of wood down for the microwave to sit on.  This effectively made the microwave sit up about 3/4" higher than I initially thought.  So now the doors sit RIGHT on top of the microwave.  



I could theoretically trim some wood off the inset portion of the cabinet doors so that they could be be shifted up a bit, BUT then they wouldn't be level with the rest of the doors on the wall.  As it is, they already sit 1/4'' higher, which is pretty obvious to me.  Ahhhh...calculation fail.  



So...rebuild new doors, or take them off and use the space for display?  Umm...display, all the way!  I've got some cute dishes to show off anyway.  I still need to remove that pesky center cabinet piece though.  Mark my words, I will do it this weekend!  



I also need to touch up some of the backsides of the doors a bit.  Some of the doors that we made from scratch needed to be trimmed with a router so that they closed properly once we had the hinges on.  




The microwave shelf is also something that I haven't elaborated on yet.  It's a 3/4 piece of plywood cut to size so that the microwave has plenty of room to get comfortable ("It's all for you, Mr. Microwave!").  I caulked all of the seams where the shelf hits the cabinet walls so that it looks flawless with the rest of the cabinet.  Do you suppose we can use the tag line "custom built" someday when we sell the house??



While I'm at it, I might as well point out the new light fixture above the sink!  This was a complete impulsive purchase at Lowes two weeks ago for $86.  I had originally intended to put a single pendent light above the sink.  But since this is the main lighting fixture in the kitchen, I was worried that a single light wouldn't be enough.  This three light fixture is pretty, simple, AND it uses CFLs, which are more efficient than standard incandescent bulbs.  Be still, my nerdy beating heart...



I installed it all by myself (woo!) in about 1/2 an hour (minus the time that I had to spend going to Target to get electrical tape + wander time through the store).  If you recall, the last time I did electrical work in the kitchen (outlets), it ended in rather large electrician bill to sort it all out...oops!  
The light fixture was super easy though, I swear.  As long as you can match the colors of the wire (white & white, black & black), you are good.  

So, what's next?  This weekend I hope to:
1. Install molding around the window
2. Install wood molding around the bottom toe kicks of the cabinets.
3. Take out that pesky middle brace in my "new" display cabinet above the microwave
4. MAYBE start planning the layout of the wood countertop.  I need to get the countertop in before I can do the backsplash.  Needless to say, our existing "backsplash" isn't winning any beauty contests!
5. Brainstorm ideas for the ceiling.  I'm thinking that I may have to add some more popcorn ceiling to even everything out and then just repaint.  I know, this makes me sad too, but my only other option is recover the entire ceiling with something (panel board?), and that's a lot of work that I don't necessarily want to tackle right now.

Onward!  What are you planning for this weekend?

5 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see the countertops and back splash. The suspense is killing me ;) The yellow cabinets look so amazing with the dark floor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia! Now that I know you're waiting for the next project installment, hopefully I stay motivated to get it all done! :)

      Delete
  2. I think you should add "give random girl form the internet my Pyrex" to your list! ;) Looking good!

    ReplyDelete