Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Wanted: Your Opinion


OK, so over the weekend I got some stuff done on the kitchen, including putting up the toe kicks around the cabinets (I still need to fill in nail holes though!), and taking down the pesky center bracket on the cabinet above the microwave.  



The center bracket actually pulled right off...I was pleasantly surprised.  I touched up a couple of areas with wood filler and then painted them.  It's looking pretty good right now.  




I also bought wood to do the trim around the kitchen window, but it's just chilling in the living room right now.  Baby steps, right?  

While I was at Lowes getting wood, I noticed that they sell a variety of drop down and glue-on ceiling tiles.  Normally, I HATE the thought of ceiling tiles because of the ugly ones that you typically see in schools and office buildings.  But this time, these ones caught my eye, because I've been considering planking for the kitchen ceiling.  Most of the DIY ceilings that I've seen use the plain pine planking, that they paint and then install (see The Lettered Cottage's ceiling here).  This stuff is made of recycled materials and is pre-primed.  You can always paint it again if you'd like, but the fact that it's already white is a HUGE plus because painting raw pine is a huge time commitment.  I calculated that the pine would be $1/SF (not including paint or the time needed to paint them)...the prefab ceiling planks would be $1.47/SF.  



I have to do something with the ceiling because the popcorn job is uneven and some areas of the ceiling don't have it right now (because we did demo work).  My only concern is...I don't want the planks to make the kitchen too country-quaint, if that makes any sense.  We have low ceilings, so I don't them to be too distracting.  What is your opinion?  Yay or nay?


I also don't know what to do about these two light fixtures.  First, we never use either of them (the light fixture over the sink and the one in the adjacent dining area provide all of the light for the room).  Second, they are in an awkward spot, so even if I DID replace them with light fixtures, it's not like they're centered over the kitchen or anything.  Do I keep them?  Remove the fixtures and cover over the junction boxes?  Ahhh...I don't know what to do...




7 comments:

  1. I'd totally remove the fan and I wouldn't replace it with anything. It would so open up the room.
    Love how finished the bottom of the cabinets look now.
    I think the planks would totally look better than popcorn ceilings. I would just finish the rest of the kitchen and then make a ceiling decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia--I will have to see about removing the ceiling fan this weekend! I think that waiting on the ceiling is a good idea too. Better to wait and see how things look before spending money!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Julia remove the fan. The bottom of your cabinets turned out great. I think you should do the planks on the ceiling. There is blog called, A Little Glass Box, do her home tour and look at her ceilings and see what you think. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did check out that blog, thank you SO much! I love her planked ceilings!

      Delete
  3. A) Are the light fixtures or fans centered? If so, I'd keep the centered one and put a cute vintage style fixture up there (http://www.schoolhouseelectric.com/lighting-and-hardware/fixtures/surface-mount/otis-4.html in polished nickel) - I understand removing them completely but I feel like for resale, someone might want it.

    B) I like the planks. DO IT!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ceiling fan is not centered...the other fixture kind of is---> "as close as it's gonna get" I took the ceiling fan down and want to replace the light fixture! Thanks for the link :)

      Delete
  4. LOVE the ceiling planks. And I do NOT like country - but since I own a horse and LOVE the barn door look... maybe I am and don't know it? I just know I would never allow anything rooster-printed in my house...

    ReplyDelete