Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Easy Strip Quilt for a Baby Girl

Hey guys!  First of all, I am SO SORRY that I've been gone for a full 3 weeks.  I felt pretty crappy for a full 2.5 weeks...it really sucked up all of my creative juices and turned me into the girl who only wanted to sit on the couch and watch TV.  Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it doesn't make for very good blog content, does it?!

Anyway, one thing that I DID get done was this adorable strip quilt for my sister-in-law's new baby girl.  It was actually pretty easy to make too.  If you can sew in a straight line, then you can make this!


I had SO much fun picking out fabrics for this quilt.  The strip side of the quilt was made up of these three fun fabrics.  The dotted pattern on the yellow fabric is actually silver!  I purchased half a yard of each of the three fabrics for this side of the quilt.  Altogether, that gave me about 1.5 yards of fabric for the front of the quilt, however, some of the width was going to be taken up by sewing all of the strips together (in the seams), so it worked out pretty well!  I think that I had one extra strip of fabric left over that I didn't use.


The backside was a solid navy blue with gold polka dots.  I picked a light pink binding for the edges, which I think matches everything quite nicely :)  I picked up 1.25 yards of the navy fabric, so that the final quilt was about 45" by 45" in size.



First up, I cut the three printed fabrics into random widths and laid them out on the floor to get an idea of how I wanted everything to look:



Then I sewed them all of the strips together until I had a nice big slid piece.

I layered everything on the floor: first the sewn-together strips, then the quilt batting (I got a crib quilt-size piece of batting), then the navy blue backing fabric.



I pinned everything together and quilted along the seams in between the strips.


You can barely make out the quilted lines on the front of the blanket!  I used navy blue thread that blended in with the back of the quilt perfectly.


I ended up using two packages of quilt binding to bind the edges.  I was particularly proud of my very neat and professional looking mitered quilt corners :)




The final quilt was about 45" by 45".  I am so happy and proud at how well it turned out!  This was not a difficult quilt to make, so I'm excited to try making another one sometime soon.




What have you been up to lately?  Any projects in development?!

2 comments:

  1. Hey there she is. I was wondering what you were up to. Love the quilt and am glad you feel better. How's your kitchen doing? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you're feeling better! This is ADORABLE! I love how you chose patterns/colors that won't go out of style. LOVE IT! :)

    ReplyDelete