Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Gorgeous Garden Nursery

Hey All! I know that I’ve been MIA from the blog for the past 5 months or so.  See, my latest project has been 9 months in the making…


Yup!  We’re going to have a baby!  Baby Aaserud (Baby A for short) is due in less than two weeks.  Yikes!  We’re having a girl, and I just finished up her nursery a couple of weeks ago and wanted to share it with you all.  (And yes, Baby A does have a name…feels weird to call her by her name just yet though)

I had SO much fun creating her nursery.   My husband pretty much gave me free reign with it…his only stipulations were that it couldn’t be all pink/purple, and it couldn’t be Disney-princess themed ;) The overall theme that I came up with was a loose “garden” theme with a mid-century twist to it.  The “color” gold also seems to make quite a few appearances. 




The Rug:
I didn’t start planning the nursery at all until we found out that we were having a little girl!  Baby A’s room finally came together when I found THE most perfect rug from Anthropologie.  


Their Bouvardia crewelwork rug was just so pretty and colorful, I fell in love with it the first time that I saw it.  It was also pretty expensive (funny how that works, eh?).  So my method of attack was pretty much to talk about it non-stop until my husband let me order it (“I’ll never hear the end of it until you do!”).  :)  

The Dresser:
Since I spent what seemed like a small fortune on the rug for Baby A’s room, it was quite fortunate that I had planned to use a thrifted dresser that was in the craft room as her changing table.  It is the perfect height and length, plus it gives us lots of storage space for all of her adorable clothes.  The challenge was cleaning the damn thing out.  It’s sooo convenient to just stuff something in a drawer and shut it again, isn’t it?  It’s the illusion of having a clean house! 


The Crib:
Having a mid-century style dresser had me leaning towards a mid-century style crib as well.  I did a lot of research before I finally decided on the Babyletto Hudson crib.  The deal was sealed when I read that it was easy for short people to put their babies in the crib.  I’m 5’1’’ (on a good day!) and the last thing I wanted to do was catapult Baby A over the side of a crib ;)  It was also moderately priced, solid wood, and came with a toddler rail.  Can’t beat that!


The Glider & Footrest:
I really wanted an upholstered glider, but everything that I really liked was $800+, which wasn’t really an option for us.  After a lot of research I decided to buy an Ikea Ektorp Jennylund chair and attach a glider base to it.  Turns out a lot of people are really creative and have come up with all sorts of ways to convert non-rocking chairs into rockers (see here, here, and here).  Thank you creative people!  Psst…let me know if you'd be interested in seeing how we converted our chair.  


The footrest is an original Danish footrest that I scored a couple of years ago at a garage sale for $7.  I used a magenta and gold scarf that I had to sew a new cover for the cushion, and voila!  Perfection!  (I needed a footrest because my feet don't touch the floor when I sit in the chair haha)

The Bookcase:
My parents used to read to me all the time when I was little…so naturally it's important for me to keep that going with Baby A :)  I even saved all of my favorite childhood books for her!  All of the bookcases I looked at had the wrong dimensions or were out of our price range.  For about $80 I built my own bookcase to spec, painted it, and lined it with this adorable fabric.  It's not huge, but it has plenty of space for her books, and I can always build another one later on down the line if I need to!


The Lighting:
The capiz shell pendant lamp hanging above the bookcase is leftover from when the room was the guest bedroom.  It's from Pottery Barn and gives the ceiling a lovely pattern when it's lit up at night!   


The faux capiz shell shade for the overhead light in the middle of the room was a labor of love that I did…it cost me about $10 to make (woo!), but took me at least 3 - 4 full length movies to complete time-wise (boo!)  I replaced the room's existing ceiling fan with a simple "boob" light, and the faux capiz shell shade fits right over top and is held in place with some small eye hooks.  It looks really nice when it's all lit up! 



The Closet & Curtains:
The closet was already painted from when the room was a guest bedroom.  I also decided to keep the curtains from the guest bedroom.  They match so nicely, don't you think?  The storage boxes in the closet (and one is on the bookcase) are from Smock Paper, which is a local letterpress company right here in Syracuse!  I got them at their summer sidewalk sale last year.  


The Artwork:
I bought prints from two different artists on Etsy.  The first is Stacie Bloomfield, the artist behind Gingiber…her four adorable prints are over the crib!  The second is Sarah Trumbauer, whose prints of her original paper cut artwork are over the bookcase.  



The Linens:
I decided to make my own sheets and changing pad covers using a queen-size sheet set from Target.  I'm really happy with how they turned out!  I got three fitted sheets (two from the queen flat sheet and one from the queen fitted sheet) and two changing pad covers (one from each of the pillowcases that came with the sheet set).  Not bad for a $50 investment!  I used this tutorial to make the sheets, and kind of winged the changing pad covers based on what I'd learned from making the sheets (pretty much the same concept...I used the fold-over elastic for the changing pad covers too).  


I just love how her room turned out.  It's probably a good thing because I have a feeling that I'll be spending a lot of time in there in the next couple of months!  

Source List:
Artwork over crib: Gingiber from Etsy
Artwork over bookshelf: Sarah Trumbauer from Etsy
Dresser: thrifted (see here)
Mirror over dresser: thrifted (Syroco)
Footrest: vintage thrifted (Selig footrest)
Diaper cart next to dresser: Raskog kitchen cart from IKEA
Curtains: Urban Outfitters (no longer available, but see my past post on them here)
Crib sheets/changing pad cover: sewn from Threshold sheets from Target
Patterned storage boxes in closet and bookcase: Smock Paper

10 comments:

  1. Jessica McSweeneyMay 7, 2014 at 6:24 PM

    Congrats, Sara!! What a cute name, too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY - I saw the name! Gosh - I'm going to need you to design my nursery (no I'm not pregnant). I love everything about this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, no worries! Thanks so much Christie…you will have to come over and see it sometime!

      Delete
  3. I'm so happy for you Sara! You look beautiful. Wish you the best of luck!
    Love the nursery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julia! That's the best thing that you could possibly say to a pregnant woman ;)

      Delete
  4. Aw!! Yay yay yay! Congratulations! And the nursery is gorgeous, so good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Britney! That means a lot :)

      Delete
  5. I was just thinking about you today and popped over and realized I'm WAyyyyyyy behind the times! Congratulations!! I hope you are enjoying motherhood the nursery is adorable.

    ReplyDelete